Lacing web on a Wilson Ted Williams A2040

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lacing web on a Wilson Ted Williams A2040

Postby jamesthelast » November 6th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I need some help lacing the web of a Wilson Ted Williams A2040. The lacings crumbled when I was removing them, so I couldn't make notes of the pattern. I have learned a lot of valuable information from the generous members of this forum and, hopefully, someone can assist me with my problem. Thanks in advance.
jamesthelast
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Lacing web on a Wilson Ted Williams A2040

Postby mikesglove » November 9th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Is the web like this? If so, I can draw you a lacing diagram and post it. I don't use those store bought lacing needles. I find they tear out the metal grommets from the leather very easily. I straighten out a large paper clip and crimp one end to the lace and feed it through the holes. The gauge of the paper clip has some give to it and won't affect the metal web grommets.
paf8.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jamesthelast » November 10th, 2016, 10:46 am

Yes, that is the same web as on my glove. Thanks very much for the reply. I look forward to seeing your diagram.
jamesthelast
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » November 17th, 2016, 12:12 am

Here is the lacing pattern for the web. Start at the top of the forefinger and weave inside the top and second grommet. The lacing lengths sticking out of the two grommets should be about equal at this point. The top grommet lace can be a little longer since it has a longer way to go. The lace weaves its way across and down and ties off at the bottom of the web to the crotch lacing. The solid lines are outside lace and the dotted lines are inside.The X-lacing is separate from the web lace and ties off in the middle of the web. Hope that helps.

mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jamesthelast » November 20th, 2016, 1:12 pm

It helps very much -just what I need. Thanks very much.

Jim
jamesthelast
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration