Cleaning too much?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Cleaning too much?

Postby deebro041 » March 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Is it possible to clean too much of an older glove? I purchased a glove and proceeded to clean it with Horseman's One Step. The results look beautiful it soaked up the lotion, but the stamping seems to have faded somewhat and isnt as visible as it was before i started cleaning. Not sure what to do next, continue cleaning or hold off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Dan
deebro041

Re: Cleaning too much?

Postby mikesglove » March 12th, 2012, 2:55 pm

If the leather turns darker with cleaning and conditioning, sometimes the stampings will blend with the dark leather because the contrast is gone. Unfortunately at other times, the stamping is kind of fragile and can wear off with cleaning. At this point I would wait and see if the markings come back after the leather dries a little more. You could try stretching the leather slightly around the markings by using your thumbs. That is kind of an old trick to bring out faint impressions in the leather.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » March 13th, 2012, 10:12 am

Thanks Mike, yes the stampings have seemed to blend in with the leather. I will give it a few more days to sit and see the results. The glove just soaked up the conditioner, nice and soft now!!
Dan
deebro041

Postby Number9 » March 13th, 2012, 1:46 pm

You can definitely over clean. If the stamp is light in pressure or temperature (depth or color) you can easily wipe that out with too much moisture. On markings like that, you're much better off doing a lot of light passes rather than one thorough pass. However, if the glove is dry and stiff and you're able to soften it up, that may be an acceptable trade-off. All depends on what you're dealing with and what you want to gain from the effort.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration