Nokona BM-78-B

This is an archive section - it is read only

Nokona BM-78-B

Postby Musashi » November 13th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Anyway, that's what I think it says. It's a 12" fastback with a single post web. It sort of looks just like one of the current "classic" series, but in a black / really dark blue leather, with gold markings. The palm appears to have the remnants of the indian head logo, with what I think says "Top Grain Leather American Made" - it's pretty faded, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. The only other markings other than "Nokona" on the heel and pinky is "Pro Line" in script along the inside pinky, and "12" Size" in a circle towards the heel.

It's a gorgeous glove, and in fact, it's my first Nokona - now I know what you Nokona fans rave about! Does anyone know anything about this glove? The correct model number (if the one I gave was wrong)? When it was made? What kind of leather?

Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby JC » November 13th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Nice looking glove! I think the model is BM76B, not 78.
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » November 13th, 2008, 10:12 pm

its definitely the 76 and it looks like their old walnut leather
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » November 14th, 2008, 12:19 am

So it's made of the walnut leather - exactly what I would've wanted if I'd bought one new! Anything else about the glove that I should know? And about when was this glove made?
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » November 14th, 2008, 7:05 am

Umm they started in 1976. It replaced the BMAC. Production ran on them for a long time but I don't remember what Joe (Softball66) told as to when they stopped and replaced it with the AMG-175
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » November 14th, 2008, 6:50 pm

I have a lefty very similar, probably mid-80's according to Joe.

If you do a search on this site using bm-76, you'll see the discussion from Joe.
Southpaw in South Carolina
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » November 14th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I have a 2001 catalog that has it along with the AMG-175. Looks like they used it for an open web version and the AMG-175 was the closed web.

I like the black. Where'd you pick it up?
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » November 15th, 2008, 12:30 am

I picked it up at the local PIAS - I traded a couple gloves for it, and actually had some credit left over. All in all, one of my better pick ups, and absolutely my best find at any PIAS. As for the color, I'm thinking that it is in fact supposed to be black (and in the pics, it looks really black), but in person, it looks like a really dark blue.

One question I had about the glove though - what's the lining made out of? From what I can tell, it has the texture of a heavy duty cloth, but it seems like it could just as well be made out of tough suede...what's for sure is that it's definitely NOT the same material as the shell.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » November 15th, 2008, 10:50 pm

hmmm.. That's a question to Joe for sure. Mine has a leather liner like the shell.

It may very well be blue. I think I remember Joe saying they did some colors. I know I've seen the green before.
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 16th, 2008, 12:51 am

Musashi,
Nice looking glove! I especially like how the lacing runs up both sides, that's really different. Really nice find. How come I can never come across nice gloves like that? Geez!!

br
wjr953

Nokona BM-76-B LHT

Postby Perfect Game » November 16th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Here's some pics of the lefty version of the BM-76-B with a white Nokona patch as about the only difference I can see. It looks like it may of never been used. The inside of the gloves's lining on the back of the finger's/slots does feel like suede but inside pocket side lining is the same leather as the shell. Would be willing to give this lefty a new home if anyone's interested just shoot me a PM.

Gold Glove Poster
Perfect Game
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » November 16th, 2008, 6:13 pm

nice glove!
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." -Yogi Berra
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information