Glove of the week: Mar 3 - Mar 9

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Mar 3 - Mar 9

Postby burker72 » March 11th, 2007, 6:56 pm

First, thanks to Mike for the pics last week and the lesson on glove conditioning. A really great post and deservingly so, the Goldsmith mitt turned out great.

This past week did not offer any landmark gloves, but as always there was plenty of really great gloves sold (by the way, look out for the Walter Johnson D&M ending this week).

First up is a Rawlings XPG 6 HOH Mantle model. This glove sold for $450 and looked to be in near mint shape...except for the initials carved into the pinky of the glove. They aren't that prominent though and the glove still shows well. The seller said the glove wasn't even fully broken in. Of course if the original owner carved initials into the glove he was probably too busy pulling off the legs of spiders or something to play ball. OK, that's not fair, but ink is tough enough, but when somebody has carved initials into a glove there isn't much you can do about it. Still, this is a beautiful example of a cornerstone glove for most collections. My favorite attribute is the two piece web. I had another Rawlings model with this webbing that I used in a Men's baseball league and it has definitely proven to be a great design in both form and function.

Next is a Rawlings George Sisler model that went for $180 after 12 bids. Sisler gloves were a part of the Rawlings line for many years, this is one of the earlier ones I would suspect. This glove also has an owner's name on it, but it doesn't really take away from the glove. This one looks to display particularly well from the back, as is the case with most bucklebacks.

And then we have a few Wilson Personal Model gloves. A beautiful Johnny Antonelli A2010 model that went for $260 after 20 bids, a Lefty Gomez A2044 model that went for $145 after 9 bids, and finally a Ted Williams A2030 model, selling for $145 after 12 bids. All of these were great looking high quality gloves. I think the light tan color of the Gomez glove makes it stand out among the three making it my pick of the litter (take that Harvey Haddix).

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

On Sislers, Ink and carved in names...

Postby Mike**Mize » March 12th, 2007, 10:16 am

I just wanted to jump right to the Geo. Sisler, the question of ink, and the question of carved in names. The Sisler, I thought was unbelieveable. We tend to see the standard laced strap that lead up to the adjustable strap on the Rawlings trappers. To see a buckle strap on this clearly older version was amazing. Too bad about the ink. As much as we all tend to say it doesn't matter, who isn't looking for a better way to remove ink? Carved names are another matter all together. There's no removing them and when you get a glove off eBay with a carved name on it, and the seller didn't mention anything about it, you feel burned. I just picked up a
M/G Ewell Blackwell split finger a few weeks ago to replace on I'd recently sold. When the glove arrived it appeared to be in superb condition. Then I noticed the back of the pinky....Jack Caldwell...carved in with a certain flair and a very special curlaque "C". It could be worse. At least it has a nice ring to it. I remember seeing a Doak 3 a few years ago, in really nice shape with a large Betsy Seidel in thick black marker, right on the bee sting. I mean, come on! Talk about predicaments. I usually opt for no ink, no scratched in or burned in name, unless it's very faint. That's just the way I am. :)
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month