Wilson Catchers Mitt

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Wilson Catchers Mitt

Postby droc » June 29th, 2019, 9:56 am

I'm looking for a catchers mitt to use because both kids like to pitch and we practice a lot. Also want to try my hand at relacing and bought about 30 feet of tan lace and a needle.
Does this look like a good candidate for cleanup and regular use? It's USA made but I can't make out the model or signature. Looks like a nice glove though but catchers mitts seem to be reasonably priced and maybe I should start with something else.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
wilson name.jpg
wilson pocket.jpg
wilson back.jpg
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Wilson Catchers Mitt

Postby mikesglove » June 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

It's a 1950's Smoky Burgess Personal Model mitt. It's a good, solid mitt and one of Wilson's better ones back in the day. If it was mine, I would definitely clean it up and use it for pitching practice with the kids. When my kids were in little league, I would dig out an oldie to bring to practice. The vintage equipment can be fun to play with.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Wilson Catchers Mitt

Postby droc » June 29th, 2019, 2:18 pm

mikesglove wrote:It's a 1950's Smoky Burgess Personal Model mitt. It's a good, solid mitt and one of Wilson's better ones back in the day. If it was mine, I would definitely clean it up and use it for pitching practice with the kids. When my kids were in little league, I would dig out an oldie to bring to practice. The vintage equipment can be fun to play with.

Thanks, for the ID, I couldn't read that at all. Now with that info, it appears to be a 2544 model, which I can find a few other examples and this one looks pretty good. That's very cool that it is that old and looks like it has a lot of life left with a bit of relacing. I'll try to pick it up.
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures