anybody recognize these logo's

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

anybody recognize these logo's

Postby droc » June 27th, 2019, 10:23 pm

picked these up online. Looked like nice gloves. One is 1st base BL-506, with and HoH like center logo but I don't see anything rawlings on the glove.
Other is a regular glove, not sure which one has the red logo.
Any ideas what these are?
Attachments
vintage5.jpg
vintage4.jpg
vintage3.jpg
vintage2.jpg
vintage.jpg
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: anybody recognize these logo's

Postby mplsgloves » June 28th, 2019, 9:48 am

Its a bit hard to read but you can make out the patch on the first base mitt says "Big League". Browsing around ebay shows a few Big League gloves, most of which also include the brand Holmar. A quick google search didn't turn up anything for me on Big League or Holmar but I would guess it was a lower priced sporting goods brand of the 1960's or 70's. I did find it interesting that not only did they completely rip off the HOH logo, they also have a pretty blatant copy of the Wilson shooting star logo.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wjEAAOSwDlNc7Xui/s-l1600.jpg
mplsgloves
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby droc » June 28th, 2019, 10:35 am

Great work! Holmar it is with the BL naming codes, made in Japan. As you mentioned, I couldn't find a lick of History on this brand. When did Rawlings start using that logo? Can't wait to ID the other one but I'm guessing I'll be happy I only spent around 20 for the pair.
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mplsgloves » June 28th, 2019, 10:53 am

From looking at the old Rawlings catalogs on the baseball glove collector site (a fantastic resource!), it looks like the HOH logo was definitely in use by 1958 but doesn't appear to be in the 1955 catalog. So it seems safe to say the HOH bull got its start in the mid to late 1950's.
https://www.baseballglovecollector.com/glove-library/page/46/
mplsgloves
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby droc » July 7th, 2019, 1:24 pm

First, my apologies if this is in the wrong category as I originally thought these gloves are older than they may be.
The 1st base mitt is very small youth and destroyed inside so is garbage.
The other one is good, about 12 inches and the leather is solid.
I'd like to relace it to practice and learn because it looks like a decently made glove. I'm trying to find the model so I can see the original lacing pattern. This has many pieces broken and a series of repairs.
There isn't a marking on the glove that hints at the maker besides the long-gone trace of red label attaching to the leather. No endorsement or model number or maker on the leather. I looked through lots of 70/60 era gloves, TMC, hawthorne, regent, hutch but couldn't find a red label that wan't rawlings or macgregor
Only markings,
Pre Formed Pocket
Professional Model
Full Grain Cowhide Nylon Stitched
Snap-Action
SPA (which I guess are imprinted initials in the leather)
Also 8 empty holes at the base of the middle and index fingers which I guess are either decorative or to allow you to tighten up the fingers a bit. they are empty now. Not sure how that should be laced.
Here are some better pictures. I'd love to ID and hopefully find a picture of an intact original.
thanks
Attachments
unamed top.jpg
unnamed pocket.jpg
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures