A yard sale glove that I have not seen before?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

A yard sale glove that I have not seen before?

Postby glovedad » April 24th, 2011, 2:00 am

glovedad
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: A yard sale glove that I have not seen before?

Postby Kenny Wel » April 24th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Interesting mitt. Have you tried to catch with it?

Mike
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » April 25th, 2011, 1:26 am

That's an odd looking glove. Maybe foreign made? I'm sure someone here will be able to identify it.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » April 25th, 2011, 7:14 am

To be frank, I've not seen one like it. I assume it's a catchers or 1b mitt. Also think it has a buckle web. It has a sewn seam running from 7 oclock to 1 oclock. A hinge sort of padding arrangement in the front. Adult or youth size? :roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovedad » April 28th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Thank you for the replies and the info. It seems most like a first base glove, a variation of the oven mitt glove. The lacing on it and the leather are high quality. I have not played catch with it. The seam that runs across the pocket seems to be a built in feature, rather than a repair job. Also, the flat leather lace that makes up the web, is unusual. I can take some better pictures. I really do appreciate your input. It is a unique glove. Fun to find models and styles that are different. thanks again.
glovedad
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » May 9th, 2011, 1:12 am

homemade.jpg
homemade1.jpg
Note the lack of metal grommets or rolled piping . My opinion is your mitt was homemade by someone who was fairly skilled with a sewing machine. I own an early 1900's home made mitt made from whatever leather was around and it too has seams in weird places and is lacking in piping or metal grommets. Not to down grade your mitt at all. I think it is totally cool looking. JD calls these "folk art" gloves which is pretty appropriate. He has other ones on view at http://www.baseballglovecollector.com.
Here is a pic of my mitt.
cobbler1a2.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovedad » May 28th, 2011, 12:04 am

Hey thank you guys for the feedback. Much appreciated. I do not take it as a put-down at all that you would consider the glove to be a type of "folk-art glove. That makes it all the more special in my mind. I have a couple of other baseball items that appear to be hand-crafted by baseball enthusiasts, rather than factory made. I stumbled on a baseball stitching apparatus that seems to be home made. I will post pictures of it if it is appropriate to put on this site. Thanks again.
glovedad
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures