2023 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

2023 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Postby vintagebrett » February 4th, 2023, 9:55 am

As I sit here and type it is -7 degrees outside with a feels like temperature of -25 degrees. Spring training is just around the corner which means the dog days of summer are lurking in the shadows. This summer the National Sports Collectors Convention returns to Chicago, IL (actually Rosemont) at the Donald Stephens Convention Center. I'm looking forward to the show and will be set up in booths 209/211. Right now I have a decent inventory of gloves and other items I'm excited to showcase and sell to eager buyers. As the show gets closer, I hope to add some more treasures to bring that will entice shoppers of all persuasions. Gloves in the pile for the show include some nice early turn of the century models and extend all the way to some more high end modern offerings - there are 2-3 models that are cataloged but I've never seen for sale before. In addition to my items, my friend Doug from Wisconsin will be there with his usual assortment of interesting pieces. Glovecrazy Rob will be attending as well and he promises to bring the heat with some desirable models. Although the show continues to grow (they've added a lot more space this year), most of it is baseball cards. However, there are still a few vintage oases with cool equipment and other memorabilia. The best part of the show is visiting with like minded collectors and spending time sharing stories. If you're planning on attending, let me know - it's always great to see old friends and meet new ones.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2023 National Sports Collectors Convention - Chicago

Postby murphusa » February 6th, 2023, 3:36 pm

Looking for an early left handed model glove
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » April 29th, 2023, 8:36 am

I will be attending again this year, your vintage equipment booth was by far my favorite & look forward to seeing you guys again in July. Any planned after hours get togethers for the glove guys?
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 21st, 2023, 12:51 pm

Just wanted to give this a bump as we are getting closer. The inventory for the show is looking good - if you like gloves, booth 209/211 will be the place to be. Hope to see a bunch of people there!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 17th, 2023, 1:37 pm

Just about a week away from the show. I have 94 gloves packed and ready to go. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of people there. Should be a ton of fun!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 29th, 2023, 9:02 am

Come out to the booth today if you want some gloves - will be packing up tonight. Been a great show so far - lots of interesting gloves found on the floor all the way from a rodgers patent with scar lacing to a xpg-h mantle. More to come when I get home early next week.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 31st, 2023, 2:55 pm

Back from the show. As always, Chicago/Rosemont is a great location for the National - easy for people traveling to get to and plenty of lodging/excellent food in the vicinity. I have a routine for my Chicago trip where I hit a couple of antique malls/shops on my drive out and visit Tom/Josh Maddox's collection as well. Per usual, that was fun I thank them both for hosting. After 11 hours of driving, I'm pretty much a zombie but they keep me entertained with stories and gloves. Monday, I hit some more antique shops and slowly make my way to Chicago to pick up Rob at the airport. Flight was on time so that was fantastic - get his 40 bags loaded into the car (barely) and head to the convention center. Dinner at Lou Malnati's with Rob and Jeff (spaldinger) and then off to bed.

Tuesday is load in day - I was a little nervous at first because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to unload my items in the usual way. Luckily, that worked out and we got everything in super quickly and began unpacking. While I'm unpacking, I'm surprised with an opportunity to buy a glove I've been after for many, many years. Secure that (yes it's a Wm Read) and no more than 5 minutes later, another Wm Read glove walks into the booth. Two in five minutes! It was like 50 Christmases at once. Got the booth situated and looking good, took a quick run around the show to see what was available. There were some nice gloves - I mentioned earlier a Rodgers patent and XPG-H - there were others that were quickly gobbled up (not by me). The show also expanded in size and I was amazed at how big it was. Tuesday night Rob and I always due the architecture boat tour - love it every time and I've been on it a bunch.

Show opened Wednesday to a huge amount of people - I was busy the whole time with things flying out of the booth left and right. Thursday was packed as well and sales were strong. Friday isn't usually a day I have high hopes for, but still did well. Saturday was pretty dead for me but that was ok - was nice to catch my breath. I sold close to 50 gloves by the end of the show.

Thanks to all the people who stopped by over the course of the week - best part of the show is visiting with like minded collectors. I'll post my pickups later this week when I have a chance to do some photos.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 31st, 2023, 3:03 pm

A few pictures of the booth
2023national bookth.jpg

2023nationalbooth2.jpg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby TigerFan » July 31st, 2023, 9:57 pm

For me, your booth was #1, Brett. I didn't buy much at the show, but took home a really nice glove from your grouping. Thanks! Jordan
TigerFan
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 1st, 2023, 12:04 pm

TigerFan wrote:For me, your booth was #1, Brett. I didn't buy much at the show, but took home a really nice glove from your grouping. Thanks! Jordan

Thanks for stopping by and making a purchase! Post a picture of what you got!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 1st, 2023, 12:06 pm

At every National, people come and ask for specific gloves. This year I was able to help out two people looking for obscure names. First up was a gentleman asking for a Walter Schmidt catchers mitt. He had history with the family and was excited that I told him I had one. Unfortunately, Rob had already purchased it from me but made good and sold it to the guy.

Another gentleman was looking for a Jim Hickman model to complete his 1969 Cubs grouping. Had a nice Spalding personal model that he was able to buy and complete his set. Always fun to be able to help in those quests.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby TigerFan » August 1st, 2023, 7:13 pm

From Brett, a Cookie Lavagetto "American All-Star" glove, number 26.
Attachments
Cookie 1.jpg
TigerFan
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion