Endorsed Catchers’ Mitts: The A-to-Z List

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Endorsed Catchers’ Mitts: The A-to-Z List

Postby cbrandis » July 19th, 2020, 3:45 pm

As some of you might know, I am on the Sisyphean-like task of trying to collect every endorser within the sphere of American-made catchers mitts.

In order to get there, we need a list. So I compiled this one. (Can be found in Jim’s Glove Library >> Glove Articles.) Click or cut and paste this URL to open an Excel file.

https://www.baseballglovecollector.com/ ... -Mitts.xls

The list is comprehensive in the sense that I went thru Jim’s assemblage of more than 900+ catalogs, online sales, knowledge from people who know way more than I, as well as multiple collections, including my own.

The list is lacking in that there are gaps in the catalog collection, some are impossible to read, and we never know what we don’t know.
The low total number of endorsed mitts somewhat surprised me (fewer than 275 entries), as did the high number of pre-1900 endorsements (Ewing, Morrill, Brogan). Really did not expect any.

(Self-interest admission): Entries in red are the ones I am chasing, five of which I have seen in person. The others are from catalogs. And, no, I don’t really believe this task can be completed, but, damn, the hunt is fun.

If anyone has good data to update / add / delete names, then let’s do it. Parameters are simple: American-made catchers’ mitts and the names that endorse them, from Arnovich to Zupo, even if they never played a game behind the plate (Ruth, Cuyler, Hornsby, and many more).
Last edited by cbrandis on July 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbrandis
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Endorsed Catchers’ Mitts: The A-to-Z List

Postby TigerFan » July 21st, 2020, 10:53 am

Carmi,

That's a really cool list. I have a couple of quick adds for you: Heinz Becker (Wilson 517) and Frankie Reiber (Wolverine). You've got Tommy Padden - have one and I think the brand is Sports King. Go IU!

Jordan S.
TigerFan
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby cbrandis » July 21st, 2020, 11:32 am

Excellent. This is exactly what is needed. Will add those names to the list. Many thanks.
cbrandis
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » January 22nd, 2021, 7:48 pm

Just a quick note to let you know that I just added Carmi's amazing endorsed catchers mitt collection to the site. I uploaded over 250 catchers mitts (500+ pics) sending the gallery stats to over 20,000 glove pictures! This is the deepest, most thorough endorsed catchers mitt collection I have ever seen. Nice job Carmi. You can search either Carmi or Brandis in the main gallery to see them all. If any of you have any tough names he doesn't have, please reach out to him. Thanks.

Carmi was just the latest in the line of collectors who really got into their collections and got organized during the pandemic. I love that. If anyone wants to send me pics to upload or update, please do so. Thanks.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion