BGC Sales List

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

BGC Sales List

Postby ebbets55 » October 9th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Hi All,

Working up the Post Season BGC Sales List now and am still awaiting the last minute submissions. If anyone has anything they would like to include, please get hold of me as soon as possible. As always, it doesn't cost anything, just pics, descriptions and prices.

Hoping to go live by Game 1 of the World Series.

JD
jim at baseballglovecollector.com
ebbets55 at aol.com
Last edited by ebbets55 on May 27th, 2019, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: BGC Sales List #19 - October, 2018

Postby ebbets55 » October 21st, 2018, 11:02 pm

Just a heads up, definitely going live for Game 1 on Tuesday night 10/23. Monitor your e-mails and if you see something you like, you should reply and act fast. There are a lot of great lots and I'm anticipating multiple e-mails and interest on a bunch of them. Hoping for a fun night.

JD
ebbets55

Postby vintagebrett » October 22nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

Go Red Sox!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » October 22nd, 2018, 4:51 pm

Uh...No. You have just been removed from the list. : )

JD
ebbets55

Postby atabats » October 23rd, 2018, 6:18 pm

For Sale's sake, the Red Sox better let Drake LaRoche into their clubhouse tonight. The Dodgers definately won't.
Drake LaRoche Keep Out.jpg
atabats
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » October 23rd, 2018, 8:23 pm

We are live. Already getting bouncebacks from Yahoo and ATT. They must think I'm a prolific spammer. Sorry guys. Not my fault. Go to the site now if you can't wait for them to deliver the e-mail.

JD

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/w ... ist-19.pdf
Last edited by ebbets55 on October 24th, 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » October 23rd, 2018, 10:09 pm

Just found out that gmail delayed delivery too. I'm copying and pasting a lot of e-mail addresses from Excel into the Outlook e-mail all at once and hitting send. I can't help it if certain ISP's (internet service providers) delay delivery. I don't blame them as it probably appears as spam to them.

I feel horrible that it's happening though. That's why I gave everyone a heads up here to be on the lookout - to be as fair as possible. Don't know how to do it any differently. Always open to suggestions.

JD
ebbets55

Postby Deacon » October 24th, 2018, 8:21 am

Great job as always JD....thanks for what you do
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Yanks23 » October 24th, 2018, 12:22 pm

In a word: EPIC! JD, the hobby can't thank you enough for putting these Sales Lists together. What might get overlooked are the countless hours that go into putting these types of things together. Sure, individually some of us might pop over a few gloves/mitts for you to add each time, and that might not seem like a big deal...again, individually. But 127 pages?!?! Truly amazing dedication to the hobby that you show each and every time. And ask for nothing in return. You, sir, should be thanked profusely for jump-starting the hobby every time you put out one of these lists. Your time and graciousness in putting the Sales Lists together are quite simply priceless. Thank you for all you do and mean to the hobby!

-- Tim
Yanks23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby 3rdsac29 » October 24th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I would also like to thank you JD for all your hard work. I look forward to the list every year. This is the next best thing to the National. Doug
3rdsac29
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » October 25th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it and it means a lot. I just do it for the love of the game and all you fine folks. It's great to get to know a lot of you. That's the true hobby gold.

However, I feel the need to shed some light on how this goes down as I really strive for a level playing field and maybe this will help you all understand the process and the hours leading up to the List - Tuesday evening , Game 1.

- Spend a month taking submissions from sellers, researching catalogs, building pages in Word, converting them to PDF, reviewing them with the sellers, revising, finalizing, etc.

- Spend the last few hours of the work day dialing it in with last minute submissions or changes from sellers - 3:00ish on launch night.

- Assemble all the individual PDF's into one giant PDF. Crap, is it really 127 pages?

- Rearrange the PDF.

- Smoosh it, condense it or optimize it as the file is over 50MB and that is not e-mailable, which is why I stopped doing an attachment to the e-mail and went to posting it on the site and including the link. Most e-mail servers have a max 20MB file size attachment limitation, if that.

- Leave the office just shy of 5:00 and race home (8 stop lights) with the file on a thumb drive. I feel like I'm holding the recipe for Coke.

- Get home and fire up the trusty laptop that has been in overdrive for a month.

- Go to the control panel on the website, upload the file and create the link.

- Go to Outlook, create the e-mail, copy and paste one giant ass column of e-mail addresses (my Master Hobby List) from Excel and paste it into the BCC field and hit send.

- Then all hell breaks loose.

- Undeliverables come back immediately saying that these particular users are over quota. Yahoo, or ATT or Gmail is delaying delivery because the e-mail exceeds 5KB (what the hell - every e-mail is over 5KB). There is not even an attachment.

- E-mails are coming in fast and furious and I'm responding from the bottom up - forwarding each to the seller as quick as I can. Sorry if my first replies aren't lengthy. Time is of the essence. Hit me up again in a couple of days.

- My phone is by my side blowing up. Texts are going off a mile a minute. Turn off ringer. Let them pile up. E-mail trumps. Can't respond to e-mails fast enough. I'll get to texts later. Having fun! (For the record, I'm a typer, not a texter - prefer a keyboard to a phone.)

- This goes on for a few hours when it starts to get late (EST) and things slow down. Get to the 75 or so missed texts. Call it a night.

- Wake up to more activity the morning after. Right coasters get up earlier than left coasters. Back at it for round two.

- Lots of people never received the list yet. That sucks! Most of the more desirable stuff is gone. "Sorry you didn't get the list" is the answer I hate to repeat over and over. Don't take it personally, I would never remove a valuable name of a collector from the list unless they ask to be removed (or chant Go Red Sox - JK). Row deleted in Excel. See ya!

- Thursday day - still more inquiries. Keep 'em coming!

- Now we are at Thursday night, two days later and just shy of half the lots have sold, approaching 50%, not bad for a couple of days. Most sellers did well. I'm happy. I know there will be more e-mails as I continually get inquiries from previous lists. Love it!

Hope that helps explain things a bit. I'm trying to stress the importance of replying immediately for the best chance of success, and if you are one of the people who didn't get the list timely, then how can we fix it? If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it differently so everyone gets it at the same time, I'm all ears. I can only tell you all (from here on the Forum) that I'll post the list to the site as soon as I get home from the office and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for listening.

JD
ebbets55

Postby atabats » October 25th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Great job as always JD, much appreciated. One thing that would be beneficial to you, by cutting down on emails, is to maybe have a shared text based spreadsheet with a description of the glove and another column with a checkbox that indicates whether the glove has been sold. That way people won't be enquiring about gloves that have already been sold, potentially clogging up the internet and affecting my MLB streaming. That's how the internet works right?
atabats
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: BGC Sales List

Postby ebbets55 » May 27th, 2019, 12:04 pm

BGC Sales List #20 is planning on going live Wednesday evening. Look for the e-mail blast. If anyone else wants to include something, please get me pics, descriptions and prices ASAP. There's still time.

JD
ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » May 29th, 2019, 8:07 pm

We are live at 5:00 PST. Check your spam or junk folders and go to the site directly to get the link. Getting lots of bouncebacks and notices of delayed delivery.

JD

www.baseballglovecollector.com/glove-sales-lists
ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » May 29th, 2019, 8:11 pm

All of the immediate bouncebacks are from Yahoo. Looks like you guys are delayed. Sorry.

JD
ebbets55

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion