New to the Forum...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

New to the Forum...

Postby NewSouth » January 28th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Well, I'm new to posting on the forum... I've been reading it and using it for a reference for a long time. I started cleaning gloves as a hobby with a glove I picked up at Goodwill and the hobby has grown a bit from there. I sell under the name newsouthsports on eBay. It's always cool to see one of the gloves that I spent hours cleaning show up over here. And yes, I also owned the infamous Percy A. McBride glove for a short time last year.

I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all of the gloves and information posted here. And thanks to Brett for hosting it, and activating me.
NewSouth
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: New to the Forum...

Postby orangekrate » February 13th, 2013, 9:51 am

Welcome!

And, I must say, you have some of the most interesting sports stuff on ebay - gloves, bats - whatever. Nice! Do you still find all of these at local thrift stores? :D

Our local thrift stores are woefully lacking. Any gloves I see - cheap imports.

Bruce
orangekrate
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » February 13th, 2013, 11:04 am

Thrift stores are pretty well picked over on collectible items I would imagine with internet and ebay avenues of sale. I've found only one adult glove in the last year in the half-dozen or so that I visit (with the faint hope). Goodwill now has its own internet auction site but I think it's pretty well gleaned over for gloves.
Best find last year was a Hank Aaron College Bat. :(
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » February 13th, 2013, 1:37 pm

I agree that most Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift shopes are well picked but I have always found success at church thrift stores, christmas bazars etc. People will still donate to their church
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby NewSouth » February 13th, 2013, 5:42 pm

No, I don't pick up much at thrift stores or Goodwill anymore. I think I ended up cleaning the first one and selling it for a loss. But it was fun and a good glove to work on to start. I'll look in those stores but there usually isn't anything very interesting. It is also interesting to check out the used sporting goods shops. Sometimes they have some interesting 1970-80s gloves but nothing really old. I saw a Mantle bat at one but they wanted too much for it.

I like to buy items in bulk and then sort through them to find the gems. That's fun for me. Many times, even people that collect gloves and bats don't realize what they have in a big barrel or box. Or they are just done with it and want to get rid of some things. I recently found a Mantle Comet that you couldn't even tell what it was until it was cleaned. It was a nice surprise to find that it still had silver and that it was in nice condition. I think it was a throwaway for someone else.

orangekrate wrote:Welcome!

And, I must say, you have some of the most interesting sports stuff on ebay - gloves, bats - whatever. Nice! Do you still find all of these at local thrift stores? :D

Our local thrift stores are woefully lacking. Any gloves I see - cheap imports.

Bruce
NewSouth
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion