R.S. Elliott Arms Sporting Goods

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

R.S. Elliott Arms Sporting Goods

Postby mikesglove » January 14th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Kansas City became an industry hub in the Midwest. In 1895 there were two established sporting goods companies, Schemlzer's Arms and Elliot Arms. Both sold mainly hunting and outdoor gear and carried a small variety of sporting goods. By 1912, there were a dozen sporting goods concerns in Kansas City including the newly established Lowe And Campbell which would eventually be taken over by Wilson Sporting Goods in 1931. Elliott Arms was established in 1893 by R.S. Elliott and was kept as a family business till 1960. It is no wonder that hunting and advertizing Items show up regularly on ebay but baseball gloves not so much, partly because Elliot sold mainly major brands such as Goldsmith and Rawlings and only carried a few models under the Elliott house brand. There are none listed on JD's site.

Below is a page from a 1936 catalog. The gloves on the lower right are the Elliott house brand. The endorsed models include "Babe Newcomb", "Kit Grundy" and "Joe Henkel". Not exactly household names, in fact they are not found on historical major league rosters. Image

Below is a beautiful and mint "Babe Newcomb" model G54 with a blazing cloth patch. The glove reminds me a little of a Rawlings model because of the tapered wrist strap.

Below is a glove recently on ebay. It is a "Kit Grundy" model G52.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: R.S. Elliott Arms Sporting Goods

Postby jpop43 » January 15th, 2013, 9:04 am

Here is an Elliot Arms company baseball bat that we have in our collection....

http://www.dugouttreasures.com
Attachments
Elliot_Bat_1%20FL.jpg
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » January 15th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Intriguing how some of the arms companies like Elliott branched out into field and athletic sports but the program didn't seem to last generally past a decade or so. I remember seeing the Iver Johnson Arms glove as I used to own an Iver Johnson shotgun at one time. Mike's right about Kansas City and also St. Louis becoming hubs for sporting goods stores and distribution. Remember St. Louis was the western fringe of major league baseball up until mid 20th century. :roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby orangekrate » January 18th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Kit Grundy! Well, there's a new one on me. I saw the glove, but didn't catch the endorser.

And yes, I believe there was an Iver Johnson glove on ebay within the last year or so. Pretty beat up, but VERY tough to find. I have an old Iver Johnson .32 cal "Sat nite special" (hammerless) that belonged to my grandfather. I oughta get it restored....

-Bruce
orangekrate
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion