Good glove photos are tough to find

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Good glove photos are tough to find

Postby okdoak » April 2nd, 2024, 10:45 pm

Johnny Lindell and Johnny Murphy ignoring that floating glove.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 4th, 2024, 9:10 pm

Johnny Lindell again, this time with Phil Rizzuto. They were both rookies in 1941. I thought Phil's glove was a Rainey web at first but I don't see any eyelets on it.

So I think it may be this Spalding model from Jim's glove gallery. Pretty unique.

I can't find any other info on it, no model number or catalog listing. Anybody know?
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » April 6th, 2024, 12:16 pm

I was interested in the Spalding strap web models a while ago and posted something on another section of the forum. http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5744&start=45
I also couldn't find a match in a 1938-42 Spalding catalog. I posited the notion that they were special order. That was based on a strap web Spalding glove JD owns with an extended model number 222-90018. There were some other unique Spalding mitts with similar extended model numbers.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 6th, 2024, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the information Mike. I think it's interesting that Spalding made such an old school glove at that time when there were so many new innovations. It's beautiful in its simplicity.
okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 6th, 2024, 8:52 pm

Richie Ashburn with a Rawlings Playmaker. He had his own endorsement on a high end MacGregor 3-finger, but this one is definitely a Rawlings.

Eddie Mathews' Playmaker Supreme and with shortstop Johnny Logan.

Stan Musial.

Bob Friend.

okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 6th, 2024, 9:07 pm

Billy Cox may have been the only post war pro player to exclusively use a 3-finger glove. At least in the photo's I've found. For whatever reasons, that style didn't seem popular with the pro's.

okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 7th, 2024, 8:49 pm

George Kell with a Rawlings Playmaker.

At home with the outlaw web and two brand new Wilsons.

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » April 10th, 2024, 11:54 am

Nice photos of George Kell.
The following courtesy of Eric S.
1912 Maine baseball team
A player on the team with a rare full web King patent glove.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 11th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Great close up photo of that King patent.
okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 11th, 2024, 8:05 pm

Carl Hubbell has been a godsend for glove photo hunters. Here are a few more.

Awhile back Mike posted a great photo of Carl with a Bill Doak. It's so iconic that they made a card of it.

A little skeptical of the colors on this colorized photo of Carl with a Rainey web. I think the Dixie lid premium below is closer.

He endorsed a top of the line Wilson glove in the late 1930's. This one is from JD's website.

Bookends?
okdoak

Postby glovejunkie » April 12th, 2024, 8:55 am

Shoeless Joe….
Attachments
IMG_3013.jpeg
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » April 12th, 2024, 1:43 pm

Greg, you are right about Carl Hubbell. Another one is Dizzy Dean. He never met a glove he didn't like.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 13th, 2024, 2:20 am

For sure Mike. They used an impressive amount of different gloves. Neat photo of Shoeless Joe with that mitt, glovejunkie.
okdoak

Postby glovejunkie » April 13th, 2024, 9:59 am

Thanks, I try to pop one or two a week on here that I’ve saved or recently seen…once in a while I get lucky and am able to upload them…often not though due to the format/size of the saved image. I’ll have to send a few more over to Mike here and there, he’s usually able to readjust them and make it happen;). To make it clear…none of these are my own collection…I freakin’ wish!! Except the Maine photos and stuff like that…the iconic superstar photos are obviously not mine
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovejunkie » April 13th, 2024, 1:26 pm

Meet Javan Emory…circa 1885

Now this is a very special photo…and for obvious reasons, an all-time favorite of mine. I’m not the owner of this image and original glass-plate negative, but am one of the lucky few that has a print from the negative, and is a centerpiece on my wall ;). Yes, it’s a negro catcher in top of the line gear mid-1880’s…WTH, you can’t tell me you’ve ever seen anything like this before, and I doubt you ever will after either;) The story behind this photo being taken, who it actually is, why he’s wearing gear that was never adorned by a negro player in those days…also how the glass-plate negative survived and was found is just phenomenal!! Believe it or not, there used to be a second one of him without the mask on…let’s just say it’s in a million pieces…

Paul Reiferson has given me permission to share this one here, especially since he has an upcoming show in NYC with this photo and many others he owns that tell the story of integration within baseball. It starts this Monday April 15th, on Jackie Robinson day, and runs for about 6 weeks at the Gitterman Gallery…I’ll try to attach a link and write up about the show.

Paul is what I would call a research “guru” and has an absolutely mind-numbing collection. His Charles Conlon collection is probably the finest in the world and has been donated now to a museum. Paul is a great guy and tremendous asset to the hobby in general…he is very protective of this image though, has sole-rights for it, and rightfully so…he spent a decade or two researching and piecing together who it even was and how significantly important the image is…it’s incredible to say the least and I hate to give it all away. Take the time, make the drive, go see this display and try to meet Paul, there’s no way you’ll walk away not seeing something new and learning something interesting…but please do respect his wishes and not copy this image and repost it everywhere on the internet. It’ll probably be all over anyway, and he knows that…but I like to be respectful of all work and effort he put into it and his entire collection for that matter!!
Attachments
IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_3029.png
BTW…find me one of these gloves please
IMG_3029.png (156.32 KiB) Viewed 243 times
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion