Youth catchers mitt

This is an archive section - it is read only

Youth catchers mitt

Postby drzubia8 » June 28th, 2008, 2:30 am

I was looking to buy a youth catchers mitt for my nephew (he's nine) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice solid all leather mitt that would be appropriate for him.
drzubia8
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » June 30th, 2008, 9:14 am

Rawlings RCM 45 and RCM 55 are youth size. My 8 year old has a well broken in 45 he uses. The 55 is up for sale on Ebay.
Nokona and Mizuno have nice ones as well but I am not familiar enough with the model numbers for them
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » June 30th, 2008, 11:37 am

Mizuno makes a couple of nice youth catcher's mitts in the Prospect line. In my estimation they are appropriate for youth ages 7-12. The GXC100 is a closed web closed back mitt and the GXC110 is a closed web open back mitt. Both have the V Flex innovation, essentially a notch of leather removed from the hinge that allows a young hand to fully close a mitt. See http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/ ... thcatchers

or if the link does not work try mizunousa.com, follow the baseball/softball links, gloves, youth, catchers.

If the child has to have a catchers mitt, either required or by desire, these would be good serviceable mitts (my 9 year old has the GXC100) but most kids that age (farm league i.e. coach's pitch) actually catch better with their own fielders glove than a bulky catchers mitt. The point is, at a young age they can play the position with their fielders glove and do a better job than with a youth sized catcher's mitt.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » June 30th, 2008, 1:31 pm

I'll agree with the fielder's. My son switched back to his regular glove because it wasn't as heavy and was much easier to open and close. The RCM45 is easy for me to open and close but not always for my son to do so.
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information