Welting restoration?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Welting restoration?

Postby Musashi » June 20th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Does anybody out there have a technique for cleaning welting to restore it back to the original grey color?
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » June 23rd, 2008, 1:25 pm

Musashi: Any luck with your welting project? I confess, you have me scratching my head on this one. Any chance of a photo? I’d love to have a visual and description of exactly what you mean. I’m very curious.
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » June 23rd, 2008, 11:53 pm

Miller, sorry for the late reply - after a few days of nobody answering this one, I just stopped checking! Anyway, as an example, take a look at the PRO-T below - nice glove, it's just that the welting is a little dirty. Nothing against its owner - that's just how it is when you use a glove on the field, and there doesn't seem like there's anything you can do to prevent it.

If you try and clean it, some of the dirt from the shell inevitably gets onto the welting, and the welting itself doesn't seem to respond well to cleaners. It's more of a suede-like finish (if it isn't in fact suede), so that might compound the problem.

Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » June 24th, 2008, 12:36 am

Thanks for the visual and explanation. I’ve read that suede and other leather products can be cleaned with a mixture of white distilled vinegar and linseed oil. The stuff I have read says to rub the mixture into the leather and then polish with a soft cloth. :?:
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration