Hello From Steven KeyMan

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hello From Steven KeyMan

Postby KeyMan » November 12th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

I found this great forum after asking Joe (softball66) advise on a Rawlings glove with a black Label, and he told me he will post it on the glove forum. I didn't know what forum he was talking about, so I did a search, and found it. I would like to take the time to thank everyone, and Joe who responded to the post. Thank You.

You can call me Ray, you can call me Jay, but you hasn't has to call me Mr. keyMan. (If you're too young it's an old commercial pun) My Name is Steven, and no I'm not the self proclaimed Key Man here. KeyMan Is short for micKEY MANtle.

I joined the forum to try and learn as much as I can about vintage gloves. I have a modest 25 glove collection most of them, you guessed it Mickey Mantle gloves. I have been collecting everything since I was old enough to use scissors, and cut box scores out of the paper for my scrapbook. I Started glove collecting about 10 years ago, and more recent wanted to start collecting vintage gloves.

If you are a regular on eBay you know you cannot go by the description some people give on items, especially the age. People see the name Mickey Mantle, and automatically the item dates to 1950s or 60s. As we speak someone is selling a 50 year old 1950s Mickey Mantle porcelain doll but it was made in 1990 by Sports Impressions.

After buying a handful or so of vintage gloves that I thought were from the 1920s, and or 1930s I realized that after studding 100s of examples that some of the gloves could be from the 1940s or 50s. I put my vintage glove collecting on hold until I learn more. Maybe some of you guy's could give me a learnin', and If I could help anyone with anything feel free to ask. It would be my pleasure.

I have spent months of hours studding gloves on the Internet, (I should have been that studious in school) and I feel I still don't have a grasp on dating a glove. I run a website KeyMan Collectibles, and I am trying to document or chart gloves from different eras to help people (and myself) date vintage gloves. If anyone could help me, or correct me it would be appreciated. This forum does not host pictures for posting. If you have a picture you want to post, and need a place to host it just send it to me and I will be more than happy to host it for you. if you need help with it just ask.

I was a big baseball card collector like everyone else, and opened a baseball card shop in the late 1980s the hardest part was separating the collector from the business. It was hard selling a near mint 1952 Mickey Mantle bowman that you only paid a couple of hundred dollars for but when you're in business you have to do what you have to do. I sat and watched TV with the card the night before I sold it. My wife just stared at me. (they don't understand)

I lost interest in baseball cards when the market was flooded with cards, card companies, special issues, and great looking fakes. It's sad how they ruined the hobby. Maybe one day I'll get back into it with prewar cards, but for now I find my peace with vintage memorabilia, and vintage baseball gloves is a big part of it.

My first glove as a kid was a "split finger" given to me by my older cousin. More of an oddity with my friends (wow cool), my Father soon after bought me a glove with laced fingers. Yes, he made me write my name on it with magic marker. If anyone finds a Mickey Mantle Glove with the name Steve on it I want it back! I wish I had the split finger back too.

I guess I wore out my self introduction. I look forward to chatting with you guys about gloves. Do a little learnin' and sharing stories, and pictures. The best part of collecting is sharing it with others. Talk to you soon

LOL - I wrote this in my email editor, and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to post it.

Steven KeyMan
KeyMan Collectibles
http://keymancollectibles.com/
KeyMan
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 12th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll learn a lot here - I know I do!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Vintage Baseball Glove CD-ROM

Postby Brennerbaseball » November 17th, 2006, 11:53 am

Jay,
I will be selling a CD-ROM that has over 10,000 vintage glove images on it. The gloves are meticulously organized by Maker, Model type, Year and Model Number/Player Endorser. This would be much better to study to learn about the age of gloves as opposed to ebay which you pointed out is not reliable.

The CD-ROM will be available in the next few weeks and I will post it here first when it ready for sale. I usually sell them for around 10 bucks.

take care!!!

Alex Brenner
Alex Brenner
Brennerbaseball
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Vintage Baseball Glove CD-ROM

Postby MattyOrioles » September 21st, 2016, 9:18 am

Brennerbaseball wrote:Jay,
I will be selling a CD-ROM that has over 10,000 vintage glove images on it. The gloves are meticulously organized by Maker, Model type, Year and Model Number/Player Endorser. This would be much better to study to learn about the age of gloves as opposed to ebay which you pointed out is not reliable.

The CD-ROM will be available in the next few weeks and I will post it here first when it ready for sale. I usually sell them for around 10 bucks.

take care!!!

Alex Brenner

Is this CD still around and available...lol, it's been ten years.
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion