Searching in the Snow

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Searching in the Snow

Postby vintagebrett » October 22nd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Went to a show this morning and had to walk around in a little bit of falling snow. Needless to say, not many dealers set up so not much to look at. I did find a really nice JC Higgins Bob Feller split finger. When I saw the glove, it was upside down and I was convinced it was a Goldsmith - same exact web as a lot of the Elmer Riddle gloves. Was surprised when I flipped it over to see Higgins. Very well made glove.

Also had the opportunity to meet fellow forum member Wisey2121 at the show this morning. I really enjoy meeting fellow glove collectors and talking shop. I hope to meet a lot more of you guys sometime in the near future! :)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » October 23rd, 2006, 10:44 am

This weekend I traveled from central to southern Ohio for a football playoff game and took the opportunity to hit an antique mall along the way.

Even though this is a fairly large mall, I saw exactly TWO baseball gloves in the entire place!

One was a 1950's import glove that was a little bigger than toddler size. Not something I would buy.

The other was a kid-sized Sonnett first base mitt that was dried-out and brittle. I passed on that one.

Brett, you seem to always make out great with all your shows and auctions! I have found the pickings to be rather slim in Ohio. Maybe there is some untapped goldmine out there that I have yet to find!

Speaking of Sonnett, a trip to northwest Ohio a few weeks a go brought me to within a few miles of the town of Ada which, of course, was the homebase for the "OK" manufacturing company, later renamed "Sonnett" after being aquired by Wilson. Wilson still operates a plant there and this is where all of the official NFL game balls are produced.

I don't know for sure if Wilson offers tours of their plant, or if there might be anything on the tour associated with OK/Sonnett/Wilson glovemaking efforts.

Has anyone ever passed through Ada and seen the Wilson plant?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures