New Additions from March

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

New Additions from March

Postby Bravosin99 » March 22nd, 2008, 2:26 pm

Picked up quite a few gloves this month....The pile pictured was given to us by a friend of the family who bought them many years ago and forget he had them....Well dad and I never forgot him mentioning them one time so when I did this man a favor he asked me what I wanted in return I said to view the gloves.....He ended up giving us all of them....The balls came from spring training in Jupiter this year dad got around 45 and ended up getting a few of them signed....Let me know if you are interested in any of the baseman's gloves we don't plan on keeping them.
Here are the gloves
1. (Three) Nokona BM80 Art Shires baseman's gloves.
2. George Cox Nokona BM81 baseman glove.
3. (Two) Mint MacGregor G12 Jack Jensen gloves.
4. Mint House of Harter Jeff Cross Professional model Split finger.
5. Nokona 3F1 Grant Dunlap
Image[/img]
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

well hello new brand

Postby softball66 » March 31st, 2008, 8:08 am

Being a long=time follower of the Nokona gloves, I was interested in the Jeff Cross glove under the brand of "House of Harter" . I'd never heard of that brand before and suppose Nocona made it for a special reason. Maybe the House of Harter was like the "House of David" a touring baseball team of the 19 teens and '20s. I think headquartered in Michigan. Anyone heard of the House of Harter?
Art Shires is also interesting in that his nickname was Art "The Great" Shires who was quite a boxer too and I think fought a pro football player.
Later was accused of killing a man in a bar fight after his baseball career was over.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

well hello new brand

Postby softball66 » March 31st, 2008, 8:08 am

Being a long=time follower of the Nokona gloves, I was interested in the Jeff Cross glove under the brand of "House of Harter" . I'd never heard of that brand before and suppose Nocona made it for a special reason. Maybe the House of Harter was like the "House of David" a touring baseball team of the 19 teens and '20s. I think headquartered in Michigan. Anyone heard of the House of Harter?
Art Shires is also interesting in that his nickname was Art "The Great" Shires who was quite a boxer too and I think fought a pro football player.
Later was accused of killing a man in a bar fight after his baseball career was over.
softball66

House of Harter

Postby Bravosin99 » March 31st, 2008, 10:21 am

I actually discussed this topic with a few others before...I had only seen two other gloves with House of Harter on them and we also have one of those others....Saw another one at an antique mall and didn't buy it and when I went back to get it and it was gone....The other one we have is a Tony York Professional House of Harter.....

Anyways...I have only seen these House of Harter items around our area...A few months ago I also came across a softball bat with this logo and under it said Goshen, Indiana....So I ended up calling their public library to find any history and the lady told me it was a small sporting goods store in Goshen through the 1930's-1940's....So they must have had someone making their gloves for them...Do you think it was Nokona?? I have tried to compare them to all the other manufacturers and I can't really math them up
Thanks, Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Gotta be Nokona

Postby softball66 » March 31st, 2008, 11:59 am

Well, Tony York was also an exclusive Nokona glove endorser as well as Cross so I'm figuring Nocona was making these gloves for House of Harter. I tried googling House of Harter but didn't come up with much. Where are you located by the way? And you have (Land of) Goshen and House of Harter.
I might ask Bobby Storey, the patriarch at Nocona, if he has a recollection of House of Harter special made gloves.
softball66

just took a look at your glove

Postby softball66 » March 31st, 2008, 12:01 pm

yes your H of Harter has the Nokona "Field Rite" "professional" type fonts.
softball66

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures