Columbus Day Surprise

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Columbus Day Surprise

Postby vintagebrett » October 9th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Although I never could understand why schools celebrate Columbus Day since he was one of the biggest mass murderers this side of Hitler, I don't really complain because I have the day to do some errands and look for gloves.

I had to go to pick up tickets at a local book store because two of my favorite authors are coming for book signings and on the way home I popped into a Play It Again Sports. I found the used gloves and lo and behold, what should be there but a Rawlings XPG26 Mickey Mantle! I was sort of shocked to see this at Play It Again but I quickly paid and left. The glove is very nice - leather is soft and supple, stampings are strong. Tag shows some wear but is pretty nice. Only a little ink on the inner lining. Awesome glove! I'll get some pictures up when the lanolin is done drying. Not something I plan on keeping so if someone out there is interested, let me know.
Last edited by vintagebrett on October 9th, 2006, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

i like the xpg mantles

Postby softball66 » October 9th, 2006, 4:09 pm

the xpg 6, 20 and 26 all well made and sizeable gloves. Do well on eBay if nice.

Yep we celebrate birthday of the Italian mercenary working for Spain right here in the good old USA. Eric the Red beat him here anyway. Get a day off in the banks and post offices.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 9th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Here are some pics of the Mantle - glove is very soft - lining feels great on the hand. I think I got a pretty good deal:

I also picked up this Mizuno glove today. The model is BG3003 and it is made of Crest Leather. It is very soft and well crafted. Like the Mantle, not my cup of tea, but I couldn't pass on it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » October 10th, 2006, 9:20 am

Hey, careful!

I live in Columbus, Ohio! :wink:

My wife gets Columbus day off- she works in banking- but I don't so I took a vacation day yesterday. We traveled to a far-off region of the state with lots of tourist attractions and a reputation for several large antique malls.

After a full day of searching and several hundred miles on the family sedan I came home with absolutely nothing! Not a single glove of note was found on this all-day adventure. I saw only one single dealer with any gloves at all. He had about a dozen ripped and trashed, half-plastic, child-sized gloves from the 80's and 90's. Not exactly prime collecting material...

But it was a fun trip on a gorgeous warm fall day, and that beat's the heck out of a day at the office!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures