Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

War Needs

Postby softball66 » January 25th, 2008, 2:24 pm

The shift to war time production took everything, leather, shank buttons, zippers, buckles. There were a lot of leather tie straps during the war period but glove makers couldn't even make gloves except for the military.
I would have suspected that dirt getting into zipper slide may have deterred zipper use also. It did for a while with velcro.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Postby ScottWNJ » June 25th, 2011, 12:26 am

Just stumbled upon this thread and was reading it with great interest, and "poof", it comes to a sudden end in 2008. What happened? Did the rarity list ever get produced? I was hoping to add my Goldsmith Les Mallon glove to the list. He played in the majors for 4 years in the early '30s. His glove is listed in the source book, but not in the price guide. If anyone else has a Les Mallon, I'd love to see it. Mine is really rough, but so far, it's the only one I've seen.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » June 25th, 2011, 2:42 pm

I always thought my late 1940's Rawlings "Bill Brubaker" model G480 was one of a kind and uncatalogued.
bbrubaker1a.jpg
mikesglove

Postby stockbuddy » June 26th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Hi Scott and Mike,

I had forgotten all about this thread. It is a good one too!! Scott, does your glove have a web or is it webless?

Just wondering what I am looking at.

Did JD every put up a link on his website showing the 1-3 cat. JD don't mean to add more work to you man, just wondering if I was missing the link?

JD, I know you are swamped as of late so maybe it still needs to be on the back burner as a down the road project.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ebbets55 » June 26th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Hi Dave, no I didn't get the link up but we can do searches now in the main Glove Gallery and that should turn up results that way.

JD
ebbets55

Postby stockbuddy » June 26th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Hi JD,

Hey, That is Cool!!! I like that plan.

Hope you had fun on your trip!!
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ScottWNJ » June 26th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Dave, the glove has a thin cord for a web. Most likely, it's not original. In the photo, it blends into the carpet. When I get back to NJ in a few weeks, I'll put up a better photo.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » June 27th, 2011, 12:49 am

Scott, I think I can kind of see the web cord? Look forward to a backside shot of the glove. Thanks.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Thxforthebp » July 1st, 2011, 5:48 pm

I havent been too active in the collecting field for about a year, one reason is that I am still collecting only 30s and 40s Goldsmith endorsed gloves and the missing models are non existant. I can say that I have learned that many of these are VERY VERY hard to locate and some I have yet to find at all. I am pretty sure that I have a few one of a kinds mixed in as I havent ever seen another turn up for sale perhaps some of you might have. I will post a full list of the 50+ models I have when time permits. I am curious as to how many of them are very rare models.
While searching for the Goldsmiths I purchased a second Paul Derringer that looked like it was a Goldsmith from the grainy photo but turned out to be a Wilson Paul Derringer. I havent seen any other Wilson Derringers I would love to know if any one else has seen one of them over the years also.
Thxforthebp
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 2nd, 2011, 5:04 pm

Hi thxforthebp,

I think Josh, on this glove forum is heavy into Goldsmith gloves, unless you are Josh. LOL :lol: Anyway, the old goldsmith gloves are cool!!!! You can go to JD's website to see all the old goldsmith gloves, if you haven't already been there.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Thxforthebp » July 2nd, 2011, 6:41 pm

That would be me...lol. I have pretty much disappeared from the glove scene picking up 1 glove since January. I am only looking for the missing ones and I if I can find even 3 a year at this point I will be very very happy.
Thxforthebp
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 2nd, 2011, 7:22 pm

Hi Josh,

It is a small glove world. LOL I know the getting one glove once in a blue moon anymore with my collecting too. I did pick up a cool vintage glove a while back and if I knew how to post it on our forum I would share it with the group. I may send pics to Mike and see if he can assist in letting the group check this one out. It is a Red Rolfe rolled laced web and I have an old time phote of RR catching with a similar rolled laced web. I also picked up 2 old timer softball gloves to add to my collection this year and that is about it for me too. Good to hear from you.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby mikesglove » July 4th, 2011, 12:12 am

I would love to see the glove pics. Send to mtinney@sbcglobal.net and I will post. A couple of tricks to posting pictures. I keep my digital camera on a low resolution setting so the images don't go over 256kb. Saves a lot of resizing hassles as this forum doesn't accept images over 256kb. I place the pics in a folder in "My Documents" (this is for Windows). In the post a reply section here on the forum at the bottom is an "upload attachments" tab, left click on it, click on "browse", find the picture in the folder in "My Documents", click "open" then "add the file" then "place inline". Always helps to "preview" everything before submitting. You have a great collection. I would like to see more of your gloves pictures here.
mikesglove

Postby stockbuddy » July 4th, 2011, 12:26 am

Hey Mike, Thanks so much. I am going to send you a few emails with my pics to your email address you provided and I will be glad for you to share some pics of stuff I and Joe Phillips have come across on the RR gloves. I think a few years ago there was an Red Rolfe rolled lace web glove discussion on this forum which is fascinating to me. Maybe the pics and cat. info will be of interest to others on our thread here too. This is not a one of a kind glove but it seems to be a very rare bird. :shock:
"
Mike thanks for messing with the pics I send you. My guess is there are going to be too large so you may need to do some magic on them to shrink them down a bit for the forum. I will try to go through the steps to post to this forum at a later date, but I am not as tech savy as some. Shoot I don't even have a website. LOL

Thanks Mike. Pics are coming your way tonight.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » July 4th, 2011, 12:38 am

Mike,

Pics have been sent your way. Thanks a bunch.

Dave
stockbuddy

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion