PM2 "Puddin Head" Jones Playmaker

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

PM2 "Puddin Head" Jones Playmaker

Postby glove-works » October 4th, 2006, 8:05 pm

I was quite happy when I received the Playmaker I recently won on Ebay today, and realized it was a PM2 Willie Jones. Surprisingly, this is one of the Playmaker models that has eluded me....at least until now.

Need to locate a clean PM1 Gene Woodling...anyone?
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Good old Playmakers

Postby softball66 » October 5th, 2006, 12:55 am

Lower the PM number such as PM1, 2, 5, the harder to find because less were produced by Rawlings, in the higher quality (lower #) series. Got a PM5 Hank Bauer here last week and it's a well made glove but small. I've been lucky on the 3-finger side in that I've got the top of the line MacGregor Lloyd Merriman GB10 which favorably compares with the PM Musial.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 5th, 2006, 8:36 am

Nice surprise, Glove-Works!

I was watching that auction and, if I recall, had actually placed a bid on that glove. You could tell it was one of the higher-quality Playmakers but the seller's description left you guessing as to which model it might have been.

The only "Puddin' Head" glove I have is a Montgomery Ward three-finger (Rawlings made, of course) that is a cheap glove equivilant to the small PM25's, with thin leather and vinyl trim.

That is a cool nickname on an endorsement. It looks good next to the cheap "Hoot" Evers glove I picked up a few weeks ago!
BretMan

The Puddin Head

Postby softball66 » October 5th, 2006, 10:36 am

Next to PMs, ol' Puddin Head PM2 is a hard one to find and popular because of Willie's nickname. I'll have to go with my "Riverboat" Smith though. Yep, the MW Pud pmaker was not pretty.
Willie was cantakerous and not too popular on his team unfortunately I understand, rather hard to get along with.
Glover Paul Rogers wrote about him in his book, "The Whiz Kids."
We should do a story on great glove nicknames! Right Skeeter!?
Joe
softball66

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures