Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Postby softball66 » January 10th, 2008, 8:39 am

Dave Cunningham's thread on rare glove started me thinking. I think this would be a fun subject. How many gloves (especially the signature models) do we think there is JUST ONE OF?
I thought of this the other day when I was viewing a Jimmy Austin glove at John Graham's. Didn't know there was one. I've got a Hans Lobert glove that I've just heard one of. We've seen in the glove guide where we know a glove is catalogued but not found. I'll go through my owned glove list and put in some more.
This should be a lively topic and should be a lot of fun. I'll bet we can a controversial list. Go get 'em guys!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby nygiants » January 10th, 2008, 12:49 pm

And it would be great if we could get photos posted. (here and/or JD's website www.baseballglovecollector)
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

One of a Kind Gloves

Postby ebbets55 » January 10th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Controversy? I love it!!!

Joe, your Hans Lobert has to be the only one in existence. I have never heard of another and have always been jealous of that one since I heard him on Glory of Their Times. We need pics Joe.

I also think John's Frank Chance is a one of a kind. Jimmy Austins however, are a bit more common. I have owned three different Jimmy Austin gloves. They were all 1' web youth models. Two were Diamond brands. I'll dig through some old photos I took for eBay and get them posted along with the backlog.

I have a Heinie Wagner, a Magee Model (Sherry Magee), a Claude Davidson, an E.J. Dick Cox and Jack Rothrock that I think are pretty tough. Does anyone else have those?

This will be fun. I'll think of a couple more.

JD
ebbets55

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 7:59 pm

I’ve been on a sabbatical from the hobby for a while, but it seems that John’s Brine Pennock is one of a kind. I had a few gloves that once were the only examples found; Stan Coveleski, Sam Rice and Johnny Evers. Don’t know if any have been unearthed over the past five years or so. Also, I think there’s only one Lindstrom out there. Is this correct?
Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Just remembered a Combs that passed through my sticky little hands once. If it wasn't the lone example, there can't be too many others that have been found. Wish I had that one back! Has anyone heard of any others?
Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

One of a Kinders

Postby ebbets55 » January 10th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Alright man. The rarity police is on the scene. Mike has a nice D&M Pennock, which makes only two that I have ever heard of in the hobby. I traded him my Goldsmith JE Johnny Evers model and I have seen another Evers model floating around. He also has the nicest Lindstrom on the planet. It is stone cold gem mint and top of the line to boot. It's the only one I know of and probably the one you are referring to. You are probably right on Combs, Coveleski & Rice though.

JD
ebbets55

Postby jeneli-john » January 10th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Recently purchased a Goldsmith Mickey Haslin (Model G15). Can't find mention of it in any of the literature. Rare, or not?
jeneli-john
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 10th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Not too many rarities for me - I have a Duster Mails Special (by Rawlings) and I haven't seen another one (but I'm sure they exist).

A couple years ago I picked up a Joe Sparra made by Great Western - Joe had it listed as "Cataloged". I ended up selling it to his son, who said they had been looking for one of his gloves and were delighted to get it. Not soon after I sold it, I saw a left handed model on eBay.

With my Sonnetts, even though they are newer, I have a Mike Hershberger and haven't seen any other models with his endorsement. I also have a Cal McLish and can only remember seeing one other example.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » January 10th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Crackofthebat has a gorgeous Rawlings Bottomley - there can't be too many of those around either.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby nygiants » January 10th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Haven't seen any of these. If there are others, would love to see the pics.

Goldsmith Pitcher's Model Clydell Castileman
Wilson Mike Cvengros
Goldsmith Charles Dressen
Hutch Billy Gardner
RH Macy @ Co Russ (Gus)Wrightstone
Dubow Hal Gregg
Rawlings Al Worthington
Reach Wright @ Dixon Jack Hallett
Goldsmith Allyn Stout
Unknown Ray Hayworth
Unknown Roy Joiner
Wilson Hugh Poland
Great Western Jack Salveson

All are pictured on JD's website.
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 8:59 pm

That's one sweet Bottomley your dad has! :D

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... t+Fred.JPG
Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » January 10th, 2008, 9:09 pm

Correction. I had two Jimmy Outlaws and only one Jimmy Austin Diamond Brand. Sorry for the mistake John. Approaching 39 and already losing my mind. Very tough glove.

Bottomleys are super tough and very desirable in my opinion. Haven't seen a Mike Hersberger, only Willard Hershberger. MW got the Duster Mails Rawlings 3 that I got from Donnie15. BR or RK had a super clean Rawlings Mails at one time. With yours, we have now identified three Mails.

John - Haven't seen a Mickey Haslin model.

Did anyone see the Chuck "Rifleman" Connors Denkert mitt I put up? Joe had one in an old newsletter years ago. This would probably make two.

JD
ebbets55

Postby vintagebrett » January 10th, 2008, 9:28 pm

I know crackofthebat has a gus wrightstone glove that was mentioned above. he also had an allyn stout at one point - i'm not sure if he still has it or not.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » January 10th, 2008, 9:32 pm

two d&m's from crackofthebats collection that i haven't seen - both 1B mitts - one is a bill sweeney, the other is joe harris.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion