In a Punch Bowl

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

In a Punch Bowl

Postby softball66 » September 2nd, 2006, 9:33 am

I know you guys are going to hate me. Strolling thru local antique mall and in locked cases with glassware, crystal and sitting with its back up is a small glove in a crystal punch bowl. I can see a tag on the punch bowl for $1150 but no price tag on the glove nor can I tell what it is.
Get the case opened for me. Flip the glove over and it's a MINT Mantle MM9 Triple Crown glove. Whoa! No price on it. I take it to the front office where they call the owner dealer. I have hope as it's out of place in this dealer's specialty (glassware) but it could have cost $100 to $200 and still be a buy.
"$35," says the office assistant. "I'll take it." Luck out totally. Glove has never been used, the usual shelf, storage wear. Through Scott Calev's excellent Mickey Mantle guide, I discover that it's probably made in 1960 or 1961 with the early Mantle (non loopy) signature.
I'll take the rest of the week off.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby oldballfan » September 2nd, 2006, 9:48 am

The Mantle guide is that a new reference source.....or is it out of print. If it is new do you know if any of the chains carry the book like Barnes and Noble or Borders.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Mantle Guide

Postby softball66 » September 2nd, 2006, 11:47 pm

It's more of a draft that Mantle glove collector Scott Calev put together to see if we could publish. I'm not sure it was mainstream enough to try to put into print but it makes a good study of Mantle store models.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures