Permatex Fast Orange

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Permatex Fast Orange

Postby vintagebrett » April 25th, 2006, 8:24 pm

I've been using this Permatex Fast Orange Hand Cleaner Smooth to clean the grime (especially that black stuff that builds up between the fingers) from gloves and it has been working wonders. The contents list lanolin as an ingredient so that is a plus. It will dry out the leather a bit after use but if you put a fresh coat of lanolin on the glove right after cleaning it, everything turns out great. None of the stores around me sell the Permatex Fast Orange but I found it really cheap at this online store and their delivery was very prompt:

http://www.heavydutystore.com

As far as lanolin goes, it's nice to have a wife that works in the pharmacy - I get a pound of it at cost and it lasts for quite a while.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Deacon » April 27th, 2006, 1:55 pm

I've used GoJo, another hand cleaner containing lanolin and it seems to work well. I've also used Murphy's Oil Soap as a conditioner and have been happy with the results. Don't know long term effects. Hopefully it'll be fine.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 27th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Welcome Deacon!

Thanks for the tip on the Gojo. I've seen it at the store and it seems to be a very similar product to the Permatex Fast Orange. I didn't know that it had lanolin so that is nice to learn.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby oldballfan » May 28th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Permatex Fast Orange Smooth Hand Cleaner can also be found at Lowes Home Improvement Stores, however Home Depot does NOT carry this product. Just bought my first bottle of it today and I'm going to try to clean up the Dixie Walker, MacGregor Goldsmith model HC glove I picked up this morning for 15.00. If all goes well I'll try it on the youth model Denkert ST1 Dick Williams glove that I picked up this morning as well.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bleacher Bum » June 22nd, 2006, 3:46 pm

I went to Lowes about a week ago and found the Fast Orange and it works great. After cleaning the glove I applied the Lanolin for conditioning and the gloves turned out beautiful. Thank you for the tips!!

Brad
Bleacher Bum
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 20th, 2006, 3:47 pm

As mentioned on another thread, Permatex is discontinuing the "Fast Orange" brand cleaner and replacing it with a new formula.

This turned out to be a good thing for me!

Last week I was in a local bargain/dollar-type store that carries a lot of name brand products that have either been discontinued or perhaps had the packaging changed.

There I found 15 oz. bottles of Permatex Fast Orange for $1.50 each! I bought a few, so it should last me awhile.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » October 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm

I found Permatex with Lanolin today at AutoZone for $1.19 I'm gonna try it out on an old junker, a barely recognizable Rawlings SM6. This one will require latex gloves. :wink:
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby JC » October 27th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Let us know how it works for you.

I have been on a quest to find some Fast Orange.

All I can find is the version with pumice. I assume that pumice will scratch the glove, so I am looking for the "smooth" formula.

I went to a K-Mart yesterday, and they had about a hundred tubs of the Fast Orange with pumice. The tubs looked like they had been on the shelf for 10 years, with faded labels and covered with dust!

My quest continues...........
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » October 27th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby JC » October 28th, 2006, 3:34 pm

I just found a 1 gallon pump bottle of Fast Orange smooth at a local hardware store for $12.99.

Thanks.
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

No comparison

Postby MVALZ » January 13th, 2007, 5:19 pm

I'd been using the Permatex with lanolin for the past year with good results. Just tried the orange stuff with pumice and it blows the other stuff away :shock: . Very inexpensive at Auto Zone if you have that chain in your area.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » January 13th, 2007, 6:16 pm

The orange with pumice produces AMAZING results. I found it in free bonus 20% more size tubs at the local Dollar General store, they always have it there for 2 bucks a container.
drasher81

Postby KeyMan » January 16th, 2007, 2:33 am

With the Pumice? I thought pumice might harm the glove, and was a no no? No bad effects?

I couldn't find the Permatex orange, and tried another brand today (not orange.) What a stink I had to open all the windows. I feel like I'm hanging out with a plumber. I haven't used this stuff enough to give an opinion yet. But I did try the Horseman's One-step as recommended by Mike*Mize.... Fantastic results with my first glove. I have plenty of crummy gloves to experiment with I'll keep you guys up dated as I clean. Check out the results from the one step!

Before

After
KeyMan Collectibles
http://keymancollectibles.com/
KeyMan
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Old Gloves In Decatur » February 14th, 2007, 11:28 pm

OK Guys, I bought some of this Fast Orange. How do you guys use it? Do you use a wet or dry cloth? Any help would be Great! Thanks!
Old Gloves In Decatur
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 18th, 2007, 12:09 pm

I use a dry towel when I use the Fast Orange. Sometimes I use a toothbrush to help break down the grime. Hope that helps!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration