lacing needle

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

lacing needle

Postby droc » July 3rd, 2019, 6:53 pm

I ordered this lace and needle to repair my catchers glove. It's a nokona CM200
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZO ... UTF8&psc=1

The needle measure .193 inches thick and doesn't fit through the eyelets that hold the lace to close the glove. Am I using the wrong tool? I ended up relacing the outside portion without a needle which was a real pain. It looks too big to go into any of the holes in the webbing as well - which was what I wanted to do next. For sure it won't fit in where 2 laces go through the same hole.

The rawlings needle I bought is also too large.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N ... UTF8&psc=1

Please point me to what tool I should be using. Thanks
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: lacing needle

Postby vintagebrett » July 4th, 2019, 8:22 am

Here’s an old thread that may be useful to you - my dad posted about the taxidermy needle and I’ve been using it for 15 years with no issues
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1534&p=6986&hilit=Lacing+needle#p6986
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » July 4th, 2019, 11:31 am

This is all I have ever used. You have to cut the rawhide into a point and then thread it onto the end of the needle. Probably picked them up at Tandy 20-25 years ago.

JD
Attachments
Lacing Tools.jpg
Lacing Tools.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 11854 times
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 4th, 2019, 3:25 pm

here is a link to the tool Fred/Brett use: https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/STN12-P4345.aspx
I've used both the threaded needle and pull lacer. My go-to lacer right now is a big paper clip straightened out and crimped around the lace. It seems to solve the problem of lacing small grommets or closely spaced grommets such as found on catchers mitts. One advantage to the paper clip wire is it can be easily shaped. I use the pull lacer and threaded needle only for webs.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby droc » July 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm

before1.jpg
Thanks, those are great tips, esp the paper clip as it is on-hand. I ended up doing the web with the threaded needle. It was tight, and I think it probably enlarged the holes a bit more than necessary but it worked. It was just the eyelets that were no-go. This ended up being a nice glove for $30 with a bit of work. I originally followed the pattern in the web as received, but when I looked at information on that model I realized it was done completely wrong and the web was positioned incorrectly so I redid it following the pattern I found on a NOS model on sidelineswap. This was my first attempt at relacing a glove and it came out ok. Would have liked to have a longer than 72" piece to do the outside though. After and Before shots.
Attachments
after3.jpg
after2.jpg
after1.jpg
before3.jpg
before2.jpg
droc
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration