2018 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

2018 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » July 25th, 2018, 8:47 am

The annual National Sports Collectors Convention is in Cleveland this year, starting on August 1st. You will see my name on the list of dealers but I will not be setting up - Corey Leiby from the Antique Athlete will be using my booth. I'll be there shopping on Wednesday and hope to see some glove guys walking around. I fully intend to set up in Chicago in 2019 and I have a verbal commitment from glovecrazy to share the booth with me.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2018 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby atabats » July 25th, 2018, 10:50 am

Are you going to the Sneak Peek on Wednesday?
atabats
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 25th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Yes, I will be there Wednesday - I have a tub of gloves and a few bats that will be in booth 133.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby atabats » July 25th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Great, I'll pay you a visit. Is it worth getting the SUPERVIP package? I'm assuming parking will be another $20, or so, on top of the $22 cost of the ticket so it may be a good deal along with the other perks they include. I was only planning on attending for two days but will consider going to more if you think it's a good idea and worth it.
Last edited by atabats on July 25th, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atabats
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 25th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Depends on what you are looking for at the show. If you are only looking for vintage equipment, you will not need more than two days. If you are inclined to browse thru cards and other collectables, then yes, go as many days as you can spare. Before I started setting up as a dealer, I would get the VIP pass just to have a little extra time on the floor with not as many buyers. I usually sold off my VIP auto tickets and the cards that came with it because I didn't have an interest in them. If you are into autographs and plan on getting some while you are there then the VIP pass is probably worth it. The last time the show was in Cleveland, parking was $8 a day.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 5th, 2018, 10:17 am

A brief recap on my show experience. If you were looking for high quality vintage gloves, this show would have not made you happy. There were some booths with gloves but I did not come across any high end items that would make your mouth water. There were a scant amount of pre-1940 gloves and most of them were lower quality. I brought 30 gloves with me to the show and I sold 18 of them - anything that was decent quality or super nice condition went very quickly. As always, the most enjoyable experience of the show is visiting with old friends and meeting new ones. Was able to connect with atabats on Wednesday and enjoyed our conversation about collecting.

The show floor was very crowded and there were a lot of shoppers at the show. Good to see even if most people aren't looking for vintage equipment. Next year the shows returns to Chicago and I will be set up, hopefully with a strong group of vintage leather. I heard that the dealer booths sold out for Chicago already so I'm glad I snagged one. Should be a fun time as Mr. Glovecrazy will be joining me. Hopefully we can get a strong contingent of glove guys there next summer and have a big get together - Gibson's is right across the street! 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion