2017 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: 2017 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Now that the dust has settled a little, thought I would do a little recap on the show. Had a great time, once again, hanging out at Brett's booth and walking the floor many many times with Brett and Paul Montesano. It always amazes me that new good stuff keeps coming out several days into the show, so you have to keep doing the rounds or you will miss out on something. Like Brett said, the best part is hanging out with other collectors and I really enjoyed spending time with everyone, and even managed to do some pretty substantial deals with longterm collector friends Doug Wolk, Scott Noble, Richie Boswell, and Josh Maddox (who all brought good stuff to check out). But just hanging out talking gloves - specific glove nerd detail stuff - is really what I look forward to, sort of like hanging out at the local barber shop. Also had the pleasure of going to dinner with Paul and Bob Seedhouse one night and Brett and Doug Wolk on another ... thanks for the invites, guys! Finished the trip hanging out in the city for a couple of nights with camera in hand which was very memorable.

So ya, went a little nuts again with regard to purchases ... definitely went glovecrazy! Someone asked me to summarize what I got and although it wasn't planned I ended up with what would be a pretty elaborate starter collection of a scattering of most of the subsets we seem to collect, sewn webs, prewar HOF names, Moonlight Grahams, obscure brands, big brands, unique features, Lutzke 3s, big labels, bucklebacks, soft fat 30s/40s, TOL 50s/60s, pro model 70s,etc. Some were upgrades to what I already had which is hard to do at this point. I've been a cleaning/lacing machine over the last week, so much so that my fingers are really sore. I'll feature some of the gloves here over time and talk a little about why I picked them up.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 9th, 2017, 3:33 pm

Oh ya, and colors all over the rainbow! Lets start with some big brand buckleback 1Bs with labels ...

WncBk1BF.JPG
WncBk1BB.JPG

VWDT1B2F.JPG
VWDT1B2B.JPG

With cool VW&D label in palm

DnMD1BF.JPG
DnMD1BB.JPG

With cool decker patent piece
Last edited by GloveCrazy on August 9th, 2017, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 9th, 2017, 8:05 pm

And Pie, Skeeter, and Topper for my nickname subcollection ...

Pie (1).JPG
Pie (2).JPG

With original box

Skeeter (1).JPG
Skeeter (2).JPG

With cool corset lacing to go with that subcollection

Topper (1).JPG
Topper (2).JPG

With great Diamond label
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 10th, 2017, 11:31 am

Here's some some weirdos ...

Weirdos (2).JPG
Weirdos (3).JPG

Banner Jack Taverner with zany back finger lacing

Weirdos (4).JPG
Weirdos (5).JPG

Bob Feller TruSport two finger (made by Sonnett)

Weirdos (1).JPG
Weirdos (6).JPG

Ted Williams Ohio Kentucky splitfinger three finger. I've been collecting two and three fingers since the early days and these two are very cool variations.
Last edited by GloveCrazy on August 12th, 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby glovejunkie » August 10th, 2017, 12:57 pm

You have a great eye for good stuff man...all cool gloves in fantastic condition!!
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » August 10th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Nice! I especially like the Geo. Reach. They made terrific, high quality gloves.
Wish I could have made it to the National, but some unforeseen stuff came up at the last minute. Next time, I hope.
okdoak

Postby vintagebrett » August 11th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Greg - sorry you couldn't make it to the show. Definitely hope to see you next Chicago show.

The Skeeter Newsome Geo A. Reach glove is really cool - it had glovecrazy written all over it. The grey binding is very unique and pretty cool. I'm glad it went to a good home.

It's great fun walking the show with like minded glove collectors. Even though you have a competitive mindset, there is something great about being with your friend when they find something for their collection.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 11th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Thanks! Got all but one of those posted so far from other collectors so the compliment really goes to them.

Ya, that Geo A Reach is maybe the best fit for my collection of all the gloves I got. It is perfect for what I collect with that zany corset lace, cool grey rolled piping, obscure player with great nickname, and yes, it feels amazing on. The funny/scary thing is that I overlooked it on my quick first pass through Brett's gloves. Would have been bummed had I missed out on it.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 11th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Here's a little home cooking, staples for most large collections ...

Homeys1.JPG
Homeys2.JPG

Cool Tryon label, yo!

Homeys3.JPG
Homeys4.JPG

Ooh, buttah!

Homeys5.JPG
Homeys6.JPG

An upgrade after all these years!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 11th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Before I post some more valuable gloves, just wanted to take a second to talk a little about the Tony York. I've taken some fun ribbing over the years about my large run of fat 40s models of my good buddies Pete Reiser, Joff Cross, York, Doak, and one my besties, Elmer Riddle. Yes, I have many slight variations of the same model and love them all! I mean, what's there not too love about these tremendous value, top quality gloves?!

If any of those too cool for school collectors tells you to only collect the rarest and oldest, look them right in the eye and tell them "Rob says you don't know didly." Now if someone tells you that the G33 Joff Cross is a better glove than the G12 York now that's a whole 'nother conversation.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2017, 8:33 pm

And some bigger names ...

NamesYo1.JPG
NamesYo2.JPG

In fact got a couple deep stamped Homerun Special Ruths

NamesYo3.JPG
NamesYo4.JPG

Tough, tough Speaker Stall & Dean Speed

NamesYo5.JPG
NamesYo6.JPG

Rabbit Maranvile with cool Horace Partridge label
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 14th, 2017, 8:39 am

Here are a couple of pictures from the show and of my pick-ups (all food related and eaten very quickly). Besides all the great glove talk, the thing I learned that fascinated me the most is that Rob once had the option of seeing Elvis or the Jackson 5 and opted for the King - I'm not knocking the choice, it was just super interesting to me to be faced with such a decision.

Mr. Glovecrazy holding court in the booth (sans his velvet rope)
chicago1.JPG

The booth
chicago3.jpg

Can't make a trip to Chicago without some Lou Malnati's or Gioradano's
chicago2.JPG

Also, can't resist a Chicago dog or Polish
chicago4.jpg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 14th, 2017, 12:42 pm

And here's one of Brett in his very inviting booth ...

IMG_6796.JPG

As for great food, absolutely agree about the pizza, best in the world! I had been craving Low Malnati's since last trip there five years ago when Brett, William, and I went. So good! This trip Brett had it waiting when I got there on Monday which was very cool! Also made it to Giordano's for a lunch special. Next Trip Jeno's as well.

IMG_6797.JPG

My brother and I chose Jackson 5 back in the day and were shot down by longtime Elvis fan mom. In retrospect, mom was right because Elvis tore it up!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 17th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Here are some more interesting National pickups ...

Oneoff1.JPG
Oneoff2.JPG

The elusive William Dunlap who was a classic Moonlight Graham type player playing a total of 26 games for the Boston Braves from 1929 to 1930. Love that he was able to get a glove contract from Arco and wonder how may with his name were made

Oneoff3.JPG
Oneoff4.JPG

Not too many of these around, a 30s Abercrombe and Fitch with large label and legible A&F stamping made by Draper Maynard

NameYo9.JPG
NameYo10.JPG

And found a USA Sandy Koufax on the floor to replace the one I got talked out of. Still amazed how few USA Sandy Koufax and USA Jackie Robinson gloves survived. I picked up a USA Jackie Robinson last year at auction ... first one I had ever seen. Quite the paradox that there may be as many USA William Dunlaps as Jackie Robinsons
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 18th, 2017, 7:29 am

The Abercrombie glove cleaned up real nice. The smile on Rob's face when he found the Koufax was worth the price of admission- I was hoping for some cartwheels but we didn't want to bother the EMTs.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion