It started with a couple Elden Auker pictures...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

It started with a couple Elden Auker pictures...

Postby okdoak » May 9th, 2017, 4:55 pm

A couple of weeks ago I found two pictures of Elden Auker using one of those stubby finger Pitcher's Models Goldsmiths. Thought it was pretty neat because I like those gloves and he endorsed them.

As far as I can tell, they show up in the catalogs from 1936 to 1941. His model was just a step down from the top line Paul Derringer. Johnny Vandermeer and Clydell Castleman had endorsed models, too.

1936--

1938--

1941--

okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: It started with a couple Elden Auker pictures...

Postby okdoak » May 9th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Then, a week later, I stumbled upon one, although it's pretty beat up. The only stamping I could make out was the Special Pitchers Model on the heel. It looked smaller than the Derringer that I have, so I guess I wished myself into thinking it was an Elden Auker. I've done that before. And I was wrong that time, too. :wink:
Some light cleaning showed it had a faint Paul Derringer signature. It is smaller than the one I already have. Maybe it's an earlier model. My other one looks more the size of a 1940s glove.
Anyway, I'm glad I found it, trashed liner, replaced top tunnel and all. Tough for me to pass on this style of glove, and the price reflected the condition.

This is my bigger and better one.

I was surprised to find this beauty years ago. I had no idea that MacGoldsmith brought that style back. Late 40s or early 50's? Not sure, I can't find a catalog listing for it.

okdoak

Postby ebbets55 » May 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Greg, so glad to have you back posting again. I'm still drooling over that MG Blackwell since you first sent me that pic for the gallery years ago. It's good to see it again. If you ever get the bug to move it...just sayin'... : )

JD
ebbets55

Postby okdoak » May 9th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Good to hear from you, too, Jim. That was one of the last gloves I bought before I decided to take a break. I tried to leave on a high note. But now I'm back to form, trolling for beaters. :)
okdoak

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion