XAC baseball gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

XAC baseball gloves

Postby mikesglove » December 23rd, 2011, 1:08 am

There is little to no information on the XAC brand. There are both endorsed and unendorsed models through a few decades. This is pure speculation on my part but I look at the branding on this beauty from Dugout Treasures and I see a hyphen in the X- AC stamped in the palm. I immediately think of the X-ACTO company. A polish immigrant, Sundel Doniger founded X-ACTO in 1917 in New York City. He had been somewhat of an entrepreneur and had several inventions related to surgical supplies and weaving looms. His main business was in the selling of surgical supplies as Doniger & Co. when his invention of the X-ACTO knife changed his business course dramatically. It was said that he was a marketing genius and it is fun to speculate if the sporting goods business piqued his interest.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: XAC baseball gloves

Postby mikesglove » May 7th, 2017, 12:09 am

I found some new information about X-AC gloves that pretty much shoots down my conjecture above. The label on the X-AC glove box below sheds a lot of light on the history of that brand. The X-AC logo was a house brand of the United Stated Athletic Co. of Chicago.

Below is the X-AC glove that came in the box.

The back of the glove sports a VIM athletic clothing cloth patch.

Leon Olmsted founded The VIM Co. in 1895. He purchased a machine shop in Chicago and began the manufacture of VIM bicycles.

In the early 1900's, Olmsted shaped his company into more of a department store with many divisions. One of the divisions was VIM Records.

The VIM sporting goods division was the United States Athletic Co. They sold uniforms, hunting & fishing gear and all manner of sporting goods.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » May 7th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Interesting stuff as usual, Mike. That glove with the VIM patch is a beauty.
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » May 8th, 2017, 11:06 am

Thanks Greg. The X-AC glove & box are still for sale if anyone is interested.http://www.glove-works.com/ForSale.html
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » May 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

Below is a photo of the former VIM/U.S.A. Co. building at 2222 Diversey Parkway in Chicago. It has been converted into residential condos.

Right across the street from the VIM building is one of Brett and WIlliam's favorite hangouts while at the National in Chicago, The Diversey Rock & Bowl.
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » May 10th, 2017, 3:28 pm

mikesglove wrote:Below is a photo of the former VIM/U.S.A. Co. building at 2222 Diversey Parkway in Chicago. It has been converted into residential condos.

Right across the street from the VIM building is one of Brett and WIlliam's favorite hangouts while at the National in Chicago, The Diversey Rock & Bowl.

For sure! Can't wait to have another go at the lobster harmonica in the Claw Machine.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion