WTB Johnny Bench Rawlings Mitt (RL-1, RL-10)

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

WTB Johnny Bench Rawlings Mitt (RL-1, RL-10)

Postby andrewmlin » May 4th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Hello, I'm new to writing on this forum but have done a lot of looking around and reading! My father-in-law is a big-time Johnny Bench fan. Has been ever since he was a kid. He tells this story of him going every week to some sporting goods store in Arizona to look at a Rawlings Johnny Bench catchers mitt. Said it was roughly $60 at the time. 1970's (or 1960's). He never could afford it.

I'd love to be able to get him that childhood mitt. I'm not sure what model exactly it would be, but from my research, it's probably a Rawlings RL-1 or RL-10. My father-in-law said that the special thing about the mitt was that it was 2-piece instead of 3. What I take this to mean is that nowadays, most catchers mitts have three sections, around the pocket, to catch the ball. The RL-1, RL-10 only have two with a "double-hinge" type thing separating them.

I've found a few on ebay, but all are in pretty used condition. Used is fine, but if possible, I'd like to find something without ink on it. The Johnny Bench endorsed model would be ideal, since that is probably what he was looking at back in the day. Anyone have one for sale? Or know of someone who does?

Thank you.
andrewmlin
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: WTB Johnny Bench Rawlings Mitt (RL-1, RL-10)

Postby brooklyndodger » May 12th, 2017, 6:49 pm

I just found an almost pristine 1967-1969 Rawlings Johnny Bench MJ 57 catchers mitt.Its almost pristine except for a sweat droplet on the wristband.its only about 1/4 of the way broken in.I have it up on ebay for $75 buy-it-now with free shipping in the united states..or i could sell it off ebay for $70 shipped...http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-1967- ... SwK6RZFiXW
brooklyndodger
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted