Marty Marion "Mister Shortstop" Rawlings

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

Marty Marion "Mister Shortstop" Rawlings

Postby 1960pirates » June 5th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I'm not really a collector of baseball gloves, but I recently got one of Akadema's Bob Feller replicas and It really takes me back to my 1950's childhood. Just out of curiosity, I started searching the web and found this site. I would really be interested in finding a mint condition Marty Marion "Mr. Shortstop" Rawlings from the mid 50's. I never got one as a kid (despite much hinting at Christmas time and cutting out the ads in Boy's Life and leaving them under my father's cereal bowl) and I guess I'm entering my second childhood. I don't know how rare a mint or near mint glove would be, or if I could even afford one. I'm not looking for a fixer-upper or one that has been baking in someone's attic for almost half a century, but I thought this might be a good place to start. Any ideas? Oh, and since I'm much bigger than I was then, were they originally sized for little leaguers, or was there a professional model? Thanks in advance.
1960pirates
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Marty Marion "Mister Shortstop" Rawlings

Postby vintagebrett » June 6th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Welcome to the fourm. The glove you are after is very common but might be harder to find in near mint shape. I've seen a couple in the box that have sold but those bring a premium. Good luck in your search.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby 1960pirates » June 6th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Thanks...Can you give me a ballpark (pardon the pun) idea of what "at a premium" would mean in this case?
1960pirates
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 6th, 2011, 7:22 pm

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail. ... tid=112921 - This one sold for over $1900. I'd say most of them, realistically, sell in the $300 to $600 range depending on condition.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby 1960pirates » June 6th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Wow...Thanks for the link. What a beautiful glove...I understand why you guys are so passionate about glove collecting. I love those puffy, button-backed 1950s gloves, especially the Marty Marion. Maybe someday. ....I'll print out the page and put it under my wife's cereal bowl.
1960pirates
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby 1960pirates » June 10th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Thanks, but I'm looking for a mint or near-mint glove. That one was more than a little rough. Let me know if anybody runs across one.
1960pirates
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » June 12th, 2011, 10:34 am

As a youth Mickey Mantle wanted a received for Christmas, a Marty Marion glove. He was playing SS at the time.
If you're interested, I have a Marty Marion Rawlings Advertisement and a Signed Marty Marion Look Magazine article. PM me.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Old Gloves In Decatur » July 3rd, 2011, 5:57 pm

I have this glove in really great shape. It is for a lefty thrower. Im not sure if you were looking for a lefty or righty, but this glove is beautiful. Let me know if I can send you pictures. Thanks, Kevin
Old Gloves In Decatur
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » September 21st, 2016, 9:29 am

Hey 1960's Pirates! I know I'm responding to a 5 year old post...hopefully you found yourself a Marion by now....but if not, I have this Marion G600 I picked up recently with the box! It's not mint but it's in Excellent/NM state. Its been used, but it is certainly broken in and I just love how it feels. Some signs of use but the leather is so buttery smooth as well as the inside lining. It feels so good on the hand. I fell in love as a kid with pre war split finger gloves and I have several that I love, but I must say this Marion might be one of my favorites.

This may be taboo in the community, but I went ahead and used my own method to fix the box up...I just used some tape to pull the sides together again and shore up the lid edges. I also relaced the barrel web back on to the glove...I used a lot of conditioner on the new lacing to give it a nice dark look to match the other vintage laces.

I can post more pictures if you respond to this, lol.
Attachments
G600.jpg
G600 2.jpg
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted