Favorite Additions Of 2015?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Favorite Additions Of 2015?

Postby Yanks23 » January 3rd, 2016, 1:41 pm

Greetings all and in the words of Nenge Mboko, "Merry New Year!"

So, as a still relative newbie to the hobby (relative to many of you, though I am starting to no longer consider myself a newbie), some of the posts of the past that I have really enjoyed is when many of you shared your favorite pick-ups/additions in the prior year.

I realize that many of the hobby's best gloves/mitts are simply switching owners, but to me I still think it is worth hearing from folks about their favorite adds of 2015. For instance, two of the gloves that I added in 2015 that I am excited about are the "mirror image" W&D crescents that were featured together in The Popovich's "Dugout Treasures: Collecting Crossroads". Interestingly enough, I didn't get either from them.

While I have had some pretty interesting additions in 2015, including one of Jerry's amazing fingerless gloves, I found myself fascinated with the lefty W&D because of the ink on it (go figure). In this instance, I was able to trace it to the original owner of the glove, who used it at Needham High School in MA...the town next to where I live! I was even able to get a hold the 1906 Needham HS yearbook. It had two pictures in it that year: the graduating class photo (about 15 students), and a picture of...get this...the Needham HS baseball team! In both instances, the glove's owner was pictured. It really would have been something if the glove was in that baseball team yearbook photo. No such luck, but still very cool to have the yearbook alongside the glove. And the "Collecting Crossroads" on the other side. Why? Because that specific glove is featured on the cover. Pretty cool stuff. To me, at least :-)

So, what about you guys? Any cool additions or stories from 2015 to share? Any hopeful additions for 2016? Wishing you all an amazing new year and hoping we all add some great stuff in the year ahead!

-- Tim
Yanks23
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Favorite Additions Of 2015?

Postby vintagebrett » January 4th, 2016, 8:29 am

It was a slow burn for adding gloves in 2015. I'm happy with the handful I added and enjoy seeing them in my collection. My two favorites I picked up were the Wm Read with READ tag (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4879&start=30) and the early Horace Partridge fielders mitt (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4876&start=120).

As my goal has been for years, I'm hoping 2016 produces a Vermont labeled glove and maybe some more Wm. Read items. Will see how the glove winds blow.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » January 7th, 2016, 12:47 pm

My favorite addition for 2015 would probably be the TOC laced palm catchers mitt. When it was first on ebay in 2013, there was no indication of the size. Once I saw it again in this 2014 display top left in comparison to the gloves and mitts beside, I thought WOW, I like that one. I'm hoping to find a hook and grommet back fielders glove at some point.

Last edited by mikesglove on January 9th, 2016, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovejunkie » January 8th, 2016, 9:42 am

Great topic.....

I haven't been buying/acquiring, or even looking, much this year....I'm sure most of you know what buying a new house for the first time is like;). Lol

I was fortunate enough to pick up a few new key additions to the collection though.....my favorites would have to be the two crescent padded buckle webs i was able to acquire in a round-a-bout way from the same long time collection....very cool and completes a set of 4 Victor buckle webs for me.

My collection focused around early local manufacturers to where I grew up and also where I currently live (Maine and Massachusetts), always looking for cool baseball stuff from either state. I'm still looking for top condition spalding and Victor stuff inparticular, and would like a nice early catchers mask from each of those companies. Early baseball with box from either wouldn't hurt;)

P.S. Tim those are some nice W&D crescents....thanks for helping me with the buckle web;)

Eric
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion