Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby ScottWNJ » April 11th, 2015, 9:17 pm

No. The Marathon was in the VIM box, on top of the catchers mitt. So I got two boxed gloves and one loose one. It's too bad that the catcher's mitt was stored with the ball in it, because soiled the pocket. The rest of it is near mint.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » April 11th, 2015, 11:20 pm

I'm a sucker for a nice catchers mitt. I like the VIM model. That is a nice find. Send the mitt, I could fix the problem and get it back to you. It is too nice to leave it the way it is. Or just email me at mtinney@sbcglobal.net and I can go over what you need to do it yourself.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 13th, 2015, 11:14 am

Great finds Scott. It always make for a fun day when you find something unexpected at a sale. Especially because it's usually a long time between such finds!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » April 20th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Picked this up at a flea market this past weekend - probably not of interest to anyone but me but it's a Connecticut label I hadn't seen previously. If you're not familiar with Bristol, CT - it was once the home of the Bristol Red Sox, farm team of the Boston Red Sox. They played at Muzzy Field which is still in use to this day - pretty neat park. Bristol is also the headquarters of ESPN.
Attachments
IMG_5282.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » April 20th, 2015, 7:47 pm

That's an interesting way to label the glove!
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby mikesglove » April 20th, 2015, 8:35 pm

label on label. What is that, a MacGregor glove?
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » April 20th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Yup, it's a g112 willie mays macgregor - looks like the store just sewed their own label over the black Macgregor one.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » May 2nd, 2015, 10:29 pm

A near mint late 1930's Wilson base mitt. This was a nice find. It's really large with soft, supple leather and All leather piping. It has an interesting thumb seam reinforcement running front to back.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » May 3rd, 2015, 3:05 pm

Another nice find. A C&S Sporting Goods "Harland Clift" model glove. C&S is/was a popular Texas retailer. The glove is well made and looks similar to D&M/Goldsmith lace-back models of the 1930-40's. It's big and roomy, typical of the era and in great shape.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » June 26th, 2015, 1:42 pm

A recent pick-up. A circa 1922-24 sewn web Ken-Wel glove. It's really large for its day at about 10" tall and has the cool early patch, button and patent back panel. Great glove inside and out. The "Neverip" stamp is faintly visible along the pinky with a 1922 patent date below.
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » June 26th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Great looking glove Mike. Cleaned up really nice!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » June 27th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Seems like Brett saw the before photo. Here it is again. The glove arrived still soft, supple with no cracking, mostly just dry leather. Doesn't often work out this well.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » July 30th, 2015, 12:57 pm

An early Goldsmith catchers mitt, I think 1910-15.

The cloth patch was a new one for me. It is gold on black with the trademark iron cross logo in the center. Around that in a circle is stitched the lettering, "Sporting Goods With Guarantee". Outside the circle is a free-form gold sewn shape. This was Goldsmith's rendition of the look of a wax stamp seal. I have seen this on the red on white cloth patch but not on this color scheme before. It is amazing how many different cloth patch designs Goldsmith used between 1905-25.

No logo visible on the front. Model number 91 at the heel

This view show the 1906 patented laced pocket adjuster. After 1910 this design was slowly phased out in favor of a simpler web through the perimeter lacing
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » August 12th, 2015, 12:13 pm

A 1950's Sonnett "Hal Newhouser" model glove. From what I read, the CSF model was designed as a pitchers glove. It has a deep pocket, long fingers and overall pretty large for its day. Interesting heel lacing. I have had a few Sonnetts with the white on green tag. This is the first with the gold on black. It was a nice find, supple with a great on hand feel.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » August 14th, 2015, 3:10 am

This is one of my best finds lately. A Spalding "Jimmie Foxx" model 151 base mitt from 1938-39. A big, well padded mitt. A distinctive model in Spalding's catalog. I have had the Globe and the Spalding model 161 in the past. This one has been elusive. I like the cinch lacing on the front outside edge for "cupping" the pocket.

mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures