Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby mikesglove » December 9th, 2014, 5:39 am

A few recent finds/pick-ups. First, an early Stall & Dean base mitt with the quick release buckle and arrow head wrist strap.

Second, a circa 1916 Reach "Professional" model 9A super-sized catchers mitt with the perforated palm.

Third, a Spalding "Dizzy Dean" model DD with a double "Rainey Trap" web. Only made for one year in 1936.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » December 9th, 2014, 7:00 am

Just SLOBBERED on the screen looking at that Dizzy Dean!! SWEET!!! Mine is a big old V-back model, but A diz... The perferated palm mitt is a new one for me, Factory job????
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » December 9th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Here's an illustration and a little write-up about the "Perforated Palm" design from a 1916 Reach catalog. The description is in the upper left corner.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » December 23rd, 2014, 3:19 pm

A couple old ones. First, a full web buckle back model with an internal crescent pad. You can see the stitching inside on the palm and the shape of the pad on the front side. I like the leather lining. It's a tall, narrow glove and feels great on the hand

Second, A hand sewn catchers mitt. It has a real antique look to it. The mitt is totally pieced together with leather, twine, thread and shoelace. The sewing is very intricate and done with care. I like the shoelace with the metal tipped end.

The front has a one piece face with very little articulation between the thumb and body. Very much an 1890's style. The maker cut a V out of the leather face, then sewed it back together to create a rudimentary pocket. Very clever!.

The side view shows the variety of stitching. The thumb stall is above the buckle and a padded divider separates the thumb from the opening for the fingers. The mitt was super dusty and dry. It was in someplace like an attic for a long, long time. I used some smooth waterless hand cleaner to clean off the surface dirt and dust. I was amazed the mitt was intact with no cracking or deterioration of the leather. The climate where the mitt was found must not have been too extreme. I used the "Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator" to replenish the leather. The "Dr. Jackson's" is pretty heavy duty stuff and what you see is after the third application.
mikesglove

Postby Jerry J » February 8th, 2015, 1:06 pm

I had a neighbor give this glove to me. He new I collected old baseball gloves so here is the before and after pics of a Wilson Ball Hawk A2935 Ray Jablonski. This glove was pretty stiff when I got it and you couldn't make out the Wilson logo on the button.
Attachments
20150208_085522(1).jpg
20150205_211620(3).jpg
20150204_225505(1).jpg
Jerry J
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 8th, 2015, 8:29 pm

A model 67 Goldsmith glove from the 20's. Nice markings and a small 1923 patent stamp on the thumb for the tunnel loop invention. I only have a few Goldsmith models & this is a nice one.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 14th, 2015, 12:26 am

Here's a nice early Rawlings sewn web glove, a white buckskin model B 43X. It's a well padded, fairly tall glove. Perfect cloth patch, flawless inner liner and deep factory stamp on the front.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 17th, 2015, 4:04 am

Here's an interesting take on the trapper style base mitt by Nokona. This is a 1940's "The Latch" model endorsed by "Walter Sessi". I don't think it ever caught a ball. It's absolutely pristine.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 18th, 2015, 2:01 pm

To forum member "eleet", the forum PM function is not working at this time. If you had a question about the Rawlings glove, email me at mtinney@sbcglobal.net
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 20th, 2015, 3:47 am

I like the MacGregor "SpiderWeb" models. this one has caught a few balls but is still close to near mint. It's a "Red Shoendienst" model GC1 from the mid 50's.
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » March 22nd, 2015, 11:47 pm

I'm a spider web junkie also!! seriously sweet gloves, I have 4 and will probably add a couple more, and it looks like a GC1 is one of them now, and the other is a three finger model...
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby green rhino » March 31st, 2015, 4:50 pm

Wilson Gus Mancuso Personal Model - nice
Attachments
Wilson A2420 Mancuso front.JPG
Wilson A2420 Mancuso zBack.JPG
Last edited by green rhino on April 25th, 2016, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
green rhino
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 10th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Picked up this one a little while back and finally got around to taking some pictures.
Attachments
IMG_5167.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ScottWNJ » April 11th, 2015, 5:49 pm

I'm back, and it's nice to see that the thread I started is still going strong. I've been away from the hobby for some time, pursuing other things. I've gotten into "thrifting" in a big way, and selling my finds in my eBay store. But I went to an estate sale this morning and was lucky enough to be first in line. Found this Davega Steve Sundra glove, super minty in the original box.

There was another box with this Marathon 4278 baseman mitt in it. Not as exciting as the Sundra.

But when I picked up the Marathon, this was underneath: VIM Sports Radio C605 Herman Franks catcher's mitt!
There was a baseball sitting in the pocket of the catchers mitt, which may account for the dirty look. Back of the mitt looks unused.
These are my first ever gloves with boxes. I haven't touched them, other than to gently brush some green stuff off the grommets on the VIM mitt.
Also, in the Davega box, I found this brochure. No makers mark so I don't know if it came with the glove or not.

Each of the boxes had wax paper in them. Not sure if that is considered original packing material or not.
Thoughts and comments welcome. Sorry for the long post, but I was super excited to find these, after such a long hiatus from the hobby.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » April 11th, 2015, 7:31 pm

It's a good start to the day to find three gloves in boxes at an estate sale. Sometimes they can be had for a very reasonable amount. Most of the antique vendors at my local flea mkt. go that route along with storage unit auctions. Was the Marathon mitt in its original box?
mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures