New member & glove

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

New member & glove

Postby Shure » December 22nd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Hello, I'm new here. Looks like there is some great information on this website.
I used to collect baseball cards back in my pre-teen years. I was cleaning out some old boxes and came across this glove I had. I actually remember using this glove to play catch with the neighborhood kids a couple of times.
Anyway I was curious if it is possible to identify the date range or who the maker is? There are no marks on the button that I can see. Somewhere I have a similar right handed glove but the leather is a lighter tan color.
Thanks & I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

Shure

Re: New member & glove

Postby mikesglove » December 22nd, 2014, 9:13 pm

It is a Denkert brand glove. I can see it stamped in the pocket. The sewn web model could be from the teens-20's but because it is a youth model it could also be well into the 1930's
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Shure » December 23rd, 2014, 1:57 am

Ok its a Denkert, I can see it now too. Thanks, mikesglove. Funny that I never noticed that stamp before. So how can you tell that its a youth model, because of the size?

What do you guys recommend for cleaning these old gloves up. Saddlesoap or some kind of leather conditioner, I was going to display it on a shelf.
Shure

Postby mikesglove » December 23rd, 2014, 2:28 pm

The size is one aspect. Also notice no welting(leather strips) between the seams and the cloth piping. Saddle soap is an all purpose cleaner and conditioner. I have used it a lot. Your glove isn't too dirty so that should do the trick. It will also soften the leather. I have been using the GOJO waterless hand cleaner, both with and without the pumice. I really like it. Both the saddle soap and waterless hand cleaner leave a little lanolin in the leather. If your glove is extra dry, then a leather conditioner can soften it up and bring out the color of the leather. Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator and Lexol are good conditioners but can darken the leather. I would just try the saddle soap and a damp rag first but go easy on the soap as it can leave a chalky residue when dry.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Shure » January 28th, 2015, 6:40 pm

I had a little free time last weekend so I cleaned it up a bit and the stamps are more noticeable now. Amazing what a little bit of cleaning can do :o

It clearly says: Horsehide Denkert 1327K
Shure

Postby Shure » January 30th, 2015, 10:18 pm

I cleaned it up some more & then I worked in some leather conditioner. The leather lighten somewhat but it still has some patina on it. I'm going to make a little stand then I think its ready to go on the shelf.
For reference purposes here is a picture of how the stamps now.

Shure

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures