Elmer Riddle-----DW???

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Elmer Riddle-----DW???

Postby theglovester » August 2nd, 2014, 10:27 pm

Hey glovers, let met start by stating that early in my collecting years I was lured to the simplicity of models such as MM Mantle, RR Rolfe, KK Keltner, DS Snider, and of course DD Dizzy Dean, And PM Pepper Martin in the naming of the models...made perfect sense!!!

I was kinda slow in noticing the obvious, and always wondered why a Riddle glove was an DW model..

What in the name of Moses and the Apostles was Goldsmith doing...examples...
RL was a Red Lucas that became a Leo Durocher endorsed model when the LD Durocher was dropped???
HC was a Harold Craft that became a Dixie walker endorsed model but the DW was an Elmer Riddle and no ER model??? was there a DW Dixie walker?? ER Riddle??
The JC was a Joe Cronin but the JCL was a Reiser? never a PR
At least MO was always a Mel Ott!!
and PD was Derringer and CG or GC was Gehringer and never varied...Right???
Now...Honus Wagner...obviously a HW right...status quo... NO... KB?? then Ford/Critz.. for whom did KB stand for?? anyone??

So...The Elmer Riddle was a Dixie Walker initialed glove that was never endorsed by Dixie as he was on a HC.... :shock: Am I correct???

reminds me of a country song sung down here.... "I am my own Grandpa" did a flow chart on it, possible!!! believe it or not!!
Good luck glovin guys!!! Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Elmer Riddle-----DW???

Postby theglovester » August 2nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

Any help here guys??? I feel kind like I'm in right field in Abbot & Costello's "Who's on First" and we all know the right fielder's name......
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby green rhino » August 3rd, 2014, 9:17 am

Wondered the same thing about the DW model as I've never seen a Goldsmith DW endorsed by Dixie Walker either.

Though they have been mentioned on this site before - no one produced a pic of an example that I've seen therefore I considered the existence an assumption.
green rhino
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby green rhino » August 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am

To be specific, these are the only DW endorsements I've run across:

Goldsmith DW Elmer Riddle (both retail & military of course)
MacGregor Goldsmith DW Elmer Riddle
MacGregor Goldsmith DW Joe Cronin
MacGregor Goldsmith DW Buddy Kerr
green rhino
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby green rhino » August 3rd, 2014, 9:49 am

not to derail, but whenever I notice your handle "the glovester," I am reminded of the 1991 classic by Chubb Rock, "The Chubbster."

green rhino
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 3rd, 2014, 1:17 pm

Well...Don't resemble "The Chubbster" but as a teacher the kids added "ster" onto my last name....pretty cool and better than what they could have called me, and became the Glovester in like manner as a glove collecter...

The Rawlings XPG-3's had a bunch of endorsers but not as confusing as the lettered models of Goldsmith...Wait!!! Goldsmith's made in Ohio and Ohio is above the Mason Dixon line!! Explains why it is as it is... :lol:
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » September 16th, 2014, 10:37 am

Well..spied an Elmer Riddle that was a "UN" model...has to be United Nations war issue...

or thinking like the Goldsmith model assigners.. Uncle Ned, whose other brother's daddy's niece had a boy named Uncle Jed, who moved from Tennessee to Beverly Hills after striking some bubbling crude while out hunting for some food...

Be good guys, Glovester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » September 22nd, 2016, 12:35 am

Here's my before/After of my Goldsmith Elmer Riddle DW...lol. Just some pics for fun...no help with the DW Dixie.

Enjoy
Attachments
20160922_002840-COLLAGE.jpg
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion