Wilson A2005

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Wilson A2005

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 3:50 pm

Another Columbus find, paid $15. Top-line 1970 USA-made glove. Same as A2000 but with unique "horizontal hinge" webbing. Unendorsed model (not the Catfish Hunter version).

Should be a beauty when I finally get around to cleaning it up! Laces were tightened a bit and glove was wiped-off.

- Wilson A2005 (Horizontal Hinge)
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Wilson A2005

Postby GloveGypsy » August 6th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Bretman, If I remember correctly, Jim "Catfish" Hunter was the endorser on Wilson A2005's beginning 1969 or 1970. Your glove has no endorsement, right?

I have always viewed this model as a pitcher's glove, with that exaggerated size of the pinky.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 4:42 pm

Yep, it's unendorsed. I just added that note to my description!

The only year I see an A2005 listed with "horizontal hinge" is in the 1970 Wilson catalog. The Hunter-endorsed version doesn't appear in the guide. I had always assummed those to be from a little bit later in the '70's, but that is just an educated guess.
BretMan

Wilson A2005

Postby GloveGypsy » August 6th, 2007, 4:52 pm

I have a copy of this model. Deep pocket and A2000 quality leather, right?

I have always liked this glove (and of that time in my life).

Later, if you are interested, I 'll get mine out of the locker and take a few snaps and post them to this thread.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 5:12 pm

This one, and the XPG3 I posted, are two of the most comfortable "modern" gloves I have worn. They both just fit almost perfect and catch great!

The only thing I don't like about the Wilson (and this seems to be the case with many Wilsons I've had) is that I can never get the thumb and pinky loops adjusted tight enough on my hand. It's like the loops "bottom out" inside the glove before I can get them pulled through and all the way snug.

I love this glove, but from a functional standpoint it feels a little too loose for me. I have opened-up an A2000 I use as a "gamer" and snipped some material out of the "crotch" of the loops, to get more adjustment, but don't want to do that to this one!
BretMan

Loop Issue

Postby GloveGypsy » August 6th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Have you tried wearing a batting glove to help snug the fit?

When playing outfield, I wear one, but for a different reason.....to absorb the sweat. It also fills the void between my hand and the inner glove liner.

Sometimes I play 3rd and prefer the sense of just my fielding glove on my hand so I can "feel" the ball better.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 5:35 pm

I used to wear a batting glove, but got in the habit of not wearing one a few years ago and now it just feels better to me without one.

The Rawlings gloves I use (and that XPG3) all have enough adjustment to get them as tight as I want. I wear a size "L" batting glove, but have relatively long, thin fingers, so that might be the problem.

It's just me- I need fatter fingers!
BretMan

A2005 Pics

Postby GloveGypsy » August 6th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Here ya go Bretman. This one doesn't have as much character as yours, but I love the feel of it's leather and admire the quality of craftsmanship that went into this glove.

Last edited by GloveGypsy on August 7th, 2007, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Very nice! Thanks, GG!
BretMan

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures