Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby vintagebrett » December 30th, 2013, 9:00 am

Here is one I had picked up a few months back - James Bailey Co. from Portland, ME. Nice quality mitt in good shape.
Attachments
jamesbaileyco-mitt-pic1.JPG
jamesbaileyco-mitt-pic2.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » February 19th, 2014, 3:48 am

More "Golden Oldies". Two "Bill Werber" models.
First is a James Brine Brand. The glove has a different take on the "Rainey Trap" web. The web tunnels are sewn on to the forefinger and laced to the thumb grommets. Interesting variation.

Second is a Geo. A Reach brand with a laced pinky and "peek-a-boo" fingers. The shearling lined wrist protector is a nice feature, an item often lost over the years.

mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 7th, 2014, 7:01 pm

A 1920's black leather Goldsmith model 45 "Special" glove. Patent Pending stamp on the thumb for the Vertical tunnel web patent of 1923. Nice red leather interior, piping and welting. A large model for its day and really well made. The tunnel webs are brown, tan and black leather, whatever was handy on the sewing bench that day.

mikesglove

Postby theglovester » March 9th, 2014, 11:40 am

Looking through the forum with spring plowing done and waiting on cows to calve, I spied a new posting here.
Love that Goldsmith glove!! purty gold/blue, maltese cross, notched patch, Killer button, and love the miss-matched colors of lining, glove color, and tunnels!! Everything put together is wrong in theory, but perfect when you see it!!

Kinda reminds me of me in my Southern Gray Uniform!! Neatly miss-matched also, and all the young lady spectators want their picture made with certain stunning Confederate Corporal!! Funny very few want pictures of yankees???

Kinda like that Goldsmith! who has it? For sale? you take real confederate money in trade???

On a serious note. down here we call females "Southern Belle's".
In the next event we have to travel, and we will wear blue so the locals in Virginia can be Johnny Rebs. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Uh, what did or do you Yankees call your Ladies??? Northern ________?
Could explain a bunch.

Yours in gloves!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 29th, 2014, 1:30 pm

A timely find. A rare D&M "Howard J. Ehmke" model three finger glove from the 1920-30's. perfect patch.

Another rare one, this time a 1920-30's Splading model TG in stellar condition. The maroon/red leather is killer.

A circa 1930's Reach "Babe Ruth" model RFO. A big bruiser of a glove, the top model in the RF line of Ruth gloves. It features a trap webbing that Spalding/Reach began to incorporate on a lot of their better gloves and mitts. I like the cool super wide wrist strap, 2 3/4" at its widest point.
Last edited by mikesglove on October 6th, 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikesglove

Postby ebbets55 » March 30th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Ahhh, so you are the one who got the red Spalding. That is about as nice as they get. Great pickup Mike. You should be proud to own that one. I have owned four D&M Howard Ehmke 3's in the past and if you took the best qualities of each of those four gloves and put them together into one, they wouldn't be half as nice as your Ehmke. Yours is the elite of the elite. I'm proudly posting these pics!

JD
ebbets55

Postby mikesglove » April 27th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Two MacGregor Goldsmith base mitts circa 1949. MacG had a whole section on their "Snare" mitts separate from the "Trappers". I always liked the "Snare" design, even on the fielders gloves but my favorite is the base mitt. These two were the top mitts in their day, the Les Fleming AH on the left and the Roy Cullenbine XSN on the right.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » May 4th, 2014, 7:22 pm

A MacGregor "Robin Roberts" Personal Model GCR form 1956. It has the dark blue patch with red and white lettering. I think this came right after the black patch. The "Spider Web" is Patent Pending and for the life of me I can't find it on Google Patent Search. The Patent was circa 1955 and was brought out at the same time as the Latina V-Anchored web from Rawlings. This example is a monster of a glove measuring 11"H X 12.5"W through the pocket. Roberts was on the cover of Time magazine in 1956 and was a star Phillies pitcher. He was a major endorser for MacGregor and this glove was their top model.

This picture pocket Personal Model GCR came out a year or two after and was the same design as the earlier glove. The dark blue patch has only white lettering.

Below is a MacGregor glove ad from 1956 touting the model GCR.

below is a photo of Roberts and his "Spider Web" model after opening day in 1956.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » June 4th, 2014, 12:20 pm

More "golden oldies" from the 1940's.

A Dubow "Augie Galan" model 347. Unused with stylish cream colored lace and white leather interior.

A Marathon "Lloyd Waner" model 4212. Near mint with cream colored lace, triple tunnel web. A big 'ol glove.
mikesglove

Postby swalt1234 » June 19th, 2014, 10:42 pm

While we are on the early 1940s theme, a nice KenWel George Selkirk model 544

swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 2nd, 2014, 12:35 am

Great looking Selkirk glove. One of my favorites. Classic KenWel back panel design. Another KenWel model, this time a rare base mitt endorsed by Alex Hooks! He toiled 17 years in the minors and played one year of major league ball with Philadelphia in 1935. The mitt has a cool looking elongated style and custom snare webbing. Pristine Utica KenWel patch. Flawless black leather piping and interior.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » July 9th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I think these two were possibly made by Rawlings about the same time, circa 1968-70. The Spalding Yogi Berra model 42-707 has a cool "Spoke Web" brought out by Rawlings in 1965 as the "Big Wheel" web. This is a monster of a mitt at 32" circumference. it was Splading's most expensive mitt in that period and HOH quality. The Rawlings Ted Simmons model HOHX is NOS and I don't think ever played with. It may have been made slightly after the Berra model but has a distinctive old school look with no break and the "Web Lock" webbing. The "Web Lock" was used on some of the Rawling's mitts in the early 1950's such as the Walker Cooper model.

mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » August 11th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Added these two to the collection recently. First is a tall, tunnel loop James Brine model glove in nice shape. Second is a Wright & Ditson fielders mitt with a sparkling tag.
Attachments
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » September 11th, 2014, 1:02 pm

I posted photos earlier of two circa 1949 MacGregor Goldsmith "Snare" base mitts. They are "trapper" style with an interlocking tunnel webbing. I had been on the lookout for an early version and this Goldsmith Micky Heath model is a nice one. It is circa 1933 and stamped "The Snare" on the thumb. It is more of an "oven mitt" look and the webbing is wildly different than my MacG versions. The web lacing is really intricate through the vertical tunnel. It is not too much of a leap to see the "Claw" base mitt design coming out of this. Base mitts can be a good sign post for where fielders glove designs are headed. I can see the T-web and "Trapeze" gloves evolving out of these base mitt innovations.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 12th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I picked up the 1950's Rawlings "Andy Carey" G800 glove a while back. I'd never seen a "Personal Model" in the G line of Rawlings gloves before. It was one of their better models at the time.
mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures