Best of September 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of September 2013

Postby mikesglove » September 23rd, 2013, 3:49 am

1920's Stall & Dean "Tris Speaker" model sold for $648 on ebay. Glove looks to be in very good condition, great cloth patch.
tri.jpg
tr.jpg

A 1920's Denkert model G105W sold for $62. Don't see that many early Denkert models. This white leather model is in super shape.
den.jpg
denk.jpg

A 1920's sewn web glove sold for $102. No mfg. markings visible. The front is pretty generic. What sold the glove was the 3-tone leather back. Could clean up to be a real nice looking glove.
2.jpg
22.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » September 24th, 2013, 7:03 am

Hey Guys, received the two gloves I noted before and the one is a GC alexander speed 8042, and the stampings are unchacteristically deeply stamped, both sigs on thumb and palm are clear along with Ol Pete throwing alongside "Speed" in the palm. But, It's a dirty critter, only needs 10 stitches to reattach wrist strap, piece of cake. The other was a Spalding CD "Red Oak" model, in great shape inside and out, but also dirty, definitely worth the $70 + shipping for the pair, bought these after they didn't sell first time @ 100 and no bids. Will be fun watching October Baseball and cleaning these up... Good luck hunting guys, some nice stuff on right now, shame my glove account tapped out. Yours in gloves.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 24th, 2013, 3:52 pm

theglovester wrote: Someone help me again, won 161109340621 watched it pass the first time around ebay and snatched it when BIT don't have a white basemans and yeah a little rough but ok, the S&D with the broken wrist is an easy fix, hope it ain't to stiff, most S&D's are soft... I Hope, when you look at it, isn't there writing on the back of the thumb? what models have that? I know GC Alexanders do any others?? You know there is still a glove collector in me, I love these, fix em up, clean em up, bond with them a tad...Take care.

Pictures didn't look that promising. For both to be worthwhile is a good find!
$(KGrHqRHJFUFI(bQU9E,BSJMBI5jng~~60_57.JPG
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 25th, 2013, 12:09 pm

A circa 1958 MacGregor "Gus Bell" model GC10 sold for $99 on ebay. An expensive glove in its day at $35. The "SpiderWeb" feature is nice. The GC10 is not often seen because the A2000 was introduced and the Rawlings HOH gloves were tough competition. A really large glove and Professional quality. This one has seen a fair amount of playing time but still in great shape with all the factory markings still clear and the blue cloth patch still nicely intact.
gc11.jpg
gc10.jpg
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » September 25th, 2013, 1:39 pm

The GC10 is a dandy!!! one of the favorites of the 60's in my collection, and as a Rawlings guy, Hate to say it, but better than Rawlings back in the day!! No BS!! If you couldn't catch a ball with this glove you should take up knitting!! I collected baseball cards when young and in my 1974 and 75 Topps sets, a bunch of players were wearing MacGregors on their card pics. More cards showed MacG. than others it seemed. One good thing about keeping the cards from my youth I swapped my dupes for an LC Smith double barrel side lock shotgun, pretty neat.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bravosin99 » September 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Apparently deception is key to buying and selling to a certain member here in the glove community. Our buddy detroitbaseballclub has now changed his ebay name to sarahjean222 and is selling items from two auctions that were ended early on his part (auction# 271275382178)is one of them. He is selling the items as "estate fresh" items even though it was stated by him in a previous post that he bids and sells from one account and does not try to deceive people.

His direct quote..... "Now you know, I only use one account and don’t have multiple accounts on ebay as a lot of sellers do to avoid people seeing what they have bought for what price. I consider myself a collector over a dealer, as this has never been about money for me, but rather the passion and love for the business, regardless of what I am selling. I wasn’t trying to screw this seller over, or my fellow collectors, and obviously it looks/appears to be what I did, when that couldn’t be further from the truth"......REALLY?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-basebal ... 7675.l2557

Here is some of the "estate fresh" items he is offering the catchers mitt and reach full web.
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » September 26th, 2013, 8:36 am

Actions speak a thousand words :roll:
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bravosin99 » September 26th, 2013, 9:23 am

Here is the other link to the original auction of the "estate fresh" fielders mitt & full web he is selling. The original auction didn't make it long before it was ended early so I don't think a lot of people saw it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-OLD-VI ... 7675.l2557
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » September 26th, 2013, 10:02 am

I may not like it and alot of the members here may not like it, but in the end he is playing the "game" better then we are.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Yanks23 » September 26th, 2013, 10:34 am

Well put, Murph. And I think that people on this board are coming at it from a variety of directions/views on all of this. Reality is, most don't have to like or agree with how he is doing things. Bottom line is it isn't "wrong". He is going about it from a business perspective. The hobbyists out there might take exception to this. And that is their prerogative. I just wish he would have stuck to his guns and simply went about his business. That is the challenge when you bring the business aspect into the hobby. Lines can get blurred and sometimes other priorities get in the way of the "purity" portion. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. The dishonesty about all of it is off-putting. And kind of foolish, actually. I am a new collector, so I find a lot of this entertaining...and realize I am looking at this without any prior history with him or any of you. But it is becoming easy to see Jared's point on the "glove police" aspect. So he bought some lots and is reselling as individual auctions looking to make more than he paid. Sounds like American Pickers or Pawn Stars to me (I love those shows). Again, I'll point to my last post when it comes to the exception that people are making toward his tactics in getting some auctions to end early. To me, that is an eBay and seller issue. Not a buyer thing. And while some of you will refuse to take a similar approach, knowing that it happens (and not by just him) is part of the "game" that needs to be understood and accepted.

I, for one, will still bid on some of "Sarah Jean's" auctions. The unfortunate part of this scenario is that a knowledgeable collector (I assume he knows his stuff) has now been chased from providing information to potential buyers like myself, who are still learning about the hobby and want to know as much as we can about gloves that we try to win or flat out purchase. Instead, he has turned to playing a "role" as another seller who comes off as less informed. THAT is a disservice to the hobby, but I can't say I blame Jared for going in that direction.

Let me put this out there...is it worse if he buys some gloves at a lower price with the idea of turning a profit by putting them back out there for the hobby to consume while providing the details...or this way? Same end result in terms of glove availability. Less information. Personally, as a new collector, I feel I am worse off for it. And for those of you out there who feel like he is being dishonest, there are other sellers (on this board) who leave out information in their auctions about gloves like ink that isn't visible in the pictures presented, though obvious when in-hand. And when there are multiple pictures presented in the listing, you know it isn't an oversight. So, noodle with that when we are all out there passing judgment. Jared is not the only seller from this board who is doing what some consider to be deceitful to make a buck. And that hurts the hobby as a whole in the near and long-term.

Say what you want about Jared's business tactics in how he acquires gloves. If someone is willing to sell them at a price that he offers, good for him. And if we are willing to pay more than he did to acquire a glove that he snagged before us, good for him. I say, go get 'em Sarah Jean...keep those gloves coming. And if you prefer to play the "role", it is a matter of the buyer/bidder knowing enough to know what they are getting.
Yanks23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 26th, 2013, 1:19 pm

This D&M glove came and went so quickly, I didn't even see the original listing on ebay. It's a super clean sewn web model G36 that sold for $320.
g36a.jpg
g36.jpg
mikesglove

Postby murphusa » September 26th, 2013, 9:27 pm

mikesglove wrote:This D&M glove came and went so quickly, I didn't even see the original listing on ebay. It's a super clean sewn web model G36 that sold for $320.
g36a.jpg
g36.jpg

Back up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-DRAPER-MAY ... 2c7364e44d
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby mikesglove » September 30th, 2013, 3:11 am

An early Reach sewn web glove with wool interior sold for $256 on ebay. Solid glove with normal wear to the front. The back is especially nice.
reab.jpg
reaa.jpg
rea.jpg

A rare and early Victor fielders mitt sold for $424 on ebay. Very distinctive style with the full web, no perimeter lacing and button back.
vic.jpg
vic1.jpg
vic2.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 1st, 2013, 12:17 pm

Two D&M full sewn web gloves sold together for $520 on ebay. Both seem to be nicely intact. I especially like the white model.
dm4.jpg
dm3.jpg
dm2.jpg
dm1.jpg
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » October 1st, 2013, 5:39 pm

My computer is acting like a Union General... can't post pics or anything, but the Speed with the loose wrist strap turned out AWESOME!!! I figure $10 per stitch and 15 min of time averaged out to a $150 win for the Drokester...
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month