Best of September 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of September 2013

Postby mikesglove » September 5th, 2013, 12:42 pm

A D&M "George Kelly" "Old Reliable" mitt sold for $125. Distinctive style. Needs more perimeter grommets though. Despite some wear, a must have mitt for the D&M collector. Speaking of D&M, whatever happened to the Edw. Rose/D&M mitt, was looking forward to that at auction. Interesting Small NJ. sporting goods retailer.
olde.jpg
old.jpg

An early Goldsmith sewn web model 50 glove sold for $178. Two tone leather in good shape. Super cloth patch and logo button.
gol.jpg
goldd.jpg

A crescent pad base mitt sold for $249. Pretty large model for the era and in decent shape. That buckle strap has got to go, very lame effort.
crre.jpg
cre.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of September 2013

Postby mikesglove » September 6th, 2013, 12:13 pm

A 1920's D&M G40 "Walter Johnson" glove sold for a BO. A nice glove with clear markings in the pocket.
g41.jpg
g42.jpg
g40.jpg

The best of Bob McCann's boxed gloves, this 1940's MacGregor Goldsmith "Bobby Doerr" top of the line model XG in great shape with matching box sold for $300
xg.jpg
xg1.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 7th, 2013, 2:44 pm

A 1954-55 MacGregor "Bob Thomson" model G108 glove sold on ebay. Started at $199 but seller surprisingly took a BO. This is a top of the line model with the earliest cloth patch, "Spider Web" and reverse button all in near mint condition. This is as good as it gets.
g108.jpg
g109.jpg

A pretty cool 'teens era J.C. Higgins "Black Beauty" model base mitt sold pretty quickly for a BIN of $99. The front is just spectacular but the back is damaged. Gotta hate that!
bbb.jpg
bb.jpg
bba.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 9th, 2013, 7:10 pm

A near mint Marathon brand "Bill Lee" model glove sold for $75. Beautiful blond leather and white lacing.
lee.jpg

A 1920's Goldsmith "Semi Professional" model 44 sold for a BO. Very nice glove with light wear. Super royal blue patch and brass logo button.
go1.jpg
go1a.jpg
go.jpg
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » September 10th, 2013, 11:53 pm

Well, here we go again, 271275382178 originally listed @ $50 relisted and sold quickly @ $200 not as bad as before but 4 a crescent, full web and early mask, someone tripled or quadrupled their offer... SAD...
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby glovejunkie » September 11th, 2013, 11:22 am

Funny you bring this one up glovester, I had seen it too, was interested in it, but wanted more pics and info. When they disappeared I contacted the seller to see why?? He then informed me he sold it as a buy it now for $200 because was told by the buyer the most the lot was worth is $200. Should have researched a bit more himself, but yes another one tricked into a very low buy it now I guess.
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » September 11th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Hey guys, well finally got a S&D speed glove that you can read SPEED on :D !! Have A GC Alexander but well worn, got it from good buddy Robbie L in Georgia, someone post a pic of it on here if you aint to busy, just ended today on ebay, and I forgot how to ebay a pic over. I rarely have a canidate for Glove of the month!! Thanks!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 11th, 2013, 3:32 pm

theglovester wrote:Hey guys, well finally got a S&D speed glove that you can read SPEED on :D !! Have A GC Alexander but well worn, got it from good buddy Robbie L in Georgia, someone post a pic of it on here if you aint to busy, just ended today on ebay, and I forgot how to ebay a pic over. I rarely have a canidate for Glove of the month!! Thanks!

Pretty cool glove, nice grommet web!
speedb.jpg
speed.jpg
speedaa.jpg
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » September 11th, 2013, 4:05 pm

theglovester wrote:Well, here we go again, 271275382178 originally listed @ $50 relisted and sold quickly @ $200 not as bad as before but 4 a crescent, full web and early mask, someone tripled or quadrupled their offer... SAD...

Same buyer as the fingerless
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby glovejunkie » September 11th, 2013, 4:44 pm

If that's true, guess he didn't learn the lesson or care about all the hype and issues last time!!
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Yanks23 » September 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm

And coincidentally, all of his auctions were pulled down. Perhaps he was buying the mask for his father's birthday and didn't even see the gloves in the background.
Yanks23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » September 11th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I suppose we can draw the conclusion that Jared (detroitbaseballclub) is just flat out dishonest.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby briggs86 » September 11th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Okay Glove Police! If you ask someone what their reserve is...? And in the same sentence ask them if they're willing to sell it for their reserve and they agree, what is the problem... I didn't throw out a price Scott, the buyer said the reserve is $200 and that he would sell it for his reserve. Who gives a flying F! How many other items are there on ebay every day where people are getting great deals, if not steals!!! It's not just gloves!!! I literally look at 3,000 to 4,000 different listings a day and am dedicated to the hobby and collecting and are constantly doing research!!! Could be baseball cards, gloves, bats, coca cola signs, general store items, anything and everything! GET A LIFE AND SERIOUSLY QUIT MAKING A RUCKUS BC YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!! There's 600+ members on this forum and of which its a handful always replying and taking stabs! So when you go to Brimfield and find a WM Reads & Sons baseball bat for $100 (made up price), do you tell the guy it is worth $400+ and hand him an extra $100!?!?! I THINK NOT! I as all of you collect gloves, not only sell them... And yes YANKS I did pull all of my listings, to focus on other businesses at hand and to live a less drama free life, and back to the collecting world for a while! ~Scott~ If you focused your energy on yourself vs my purchases, I reassure you, great things will come! Sorry I am in stabbing mode!
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » September 11th, 2013, 10:12 pm

theglovester wrote:Well, here we go again, 271275382178 originally listed @ $50 relisted and sold quickly @ $200 not as bad as before but 4 a crescent, full web and early mask, someone tripled or quadrupled their offer... SAD...

glovejunkie wrote:Funny you bring this one up glovester, I had seen it too, was interested in it, but wanted more pics and info. When they disappeared I contacted the seller to see why?? He then informed me he sold it as a buy it now for $200 because was told by the buyer the most the lot was worth is $200. Should have researched a bit more himself, but yes another one tricked into a very low buy it now I guess.

You are undermining the integrity of the auction process by contacting sellers and getting them to end their auctions early. It's a practice that a lot of members here frown upon.
As far as stabbing mode, you are stabbing your fellow collectors in the back.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » September 12th, 2013, 1:22 am

I have noticed as of late that many new people have been coming to the forum and posting, which is fantastic, however I have a problem with a fellow member/friend of mine not getting a fair shake in this deal and people already writing his obituary. Like someone said in last month's thread, many of you will believe his story and others will not. That's life. Time to move on and not dwell on it. Honestly we are grown men and you can draw your own conclusions and make up your own minds.

I personally have dealt with Jared as a seller and a buyer on a couple of transaction both on the forum and Ebay. He has been fair and has worked with me on many items that he has had for sale. I also have returned the favor and worked with him on many items I was selling both here and on Ebay. He has always been cordial to me and was always willing to chat with me on the phone about the hobby and what was going on with his life (banking/his shop).

Personally, I have drawn my own conclusions on this matter which have shaped my beliefs on transactions going on in the glove community. I am only responding because I know Jared and I wanted to provide my positive experiences about him for others to hear. I know many of you have worked with him as well.

This will be my only post on this matter.

RBD
Rickybulldog

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month