2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: 2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » August 6th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Here's an interview video I got to do one of the days of the show:
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ho ... ets-props/
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 6th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Some pictures of the booth
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » August 6th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I GLOVE
THAT BOOTH!!!!! You guys did a super job making it look inviting. Especially love the flags. Americana all the way through Made in the USA.
:D :D :D
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 6th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Well guys.. In the immortal words of a great farmer, Mr. Hogget, from the movie "BABE" ---- "That'll Do Pig, That'll Do.

Great display, just wish I could of snuck in with $50,000 cash and cleaned you guys out!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » August 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Your booth looks great! Well done. Was hoping for more updates, but it sounds like you were crazy busy. Wish I could have been there but too much going on at home this year. Maybe next year.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 7th, 2013, 3:09 pm

vintagebrett wrote:I think he even talked himself into buying a few!

I'll say! I went there with the intention of selling more than I bought and failed miserably! There were several items that I couldn't live without, but the degree that I pigged out still has me in a bit of a daze. Some were bought with other people in mind, but there were definitely items that I talked myself into later in the show as my will-power wore down. I carried back the most expensive items, but spent another $86 in shipping for the rest.

Here are the three I carried back, an AJ Reach webless with wide cloth label, a Stall & Dean spoked football helmet with griffin logo, and a large white TE Wilson 1" web with large cloth label.

Penniless.JPG

Brett and William did a great job of promoting the hobby, and I'm real confident they got some new collectors started at the show. I tried to help, but really the quantity of reasonably priced quality leather made it easy. On top of that they occasionally gave away a glove to a young kid which was really a hoot to watch!

As for updates during the show, we had talked about it several times but there just never seemed to be enough time. I wasn't there nearly the hours of the other guys and I can tell you I still feel like a rented mule. Next year I will get in better shape before I go (in theory).

Oh ya, here are is a panoramic picture from our seats at the Cubs game (great job William!). The ball that the Cubs shortstop dropped (batted at!) that would have been the game winning out was one of the worst plays I have ever seen by a shortstop. That sort of added to the Cubbie mystique of the night.

Cubbies.jpg

This is just how we roll ...

InStyle.jpg

Actually we waited for a hotel shuttle bus to take us to the train station, the El train, and then a local bus, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Da Cubs!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » August 7th, 2013, 5:37 pm

InStyle[1].jpg
GloveCrazy wrote:
This is just how we roll ...

Ok, this is hilarious. I see you took a simple form of transportation to the game. Sandra and I were busting up laughing at this photo. Nice look on the goatee. Seems like you all had a wonderful time. Can't wait to check out all the new pickups (No hiding stuff) . That spoked helmet is really nice. Can't say I've seen a S&D one before. Super deep stamping. How many spokes? 6?
That's a great looking booth Brett and William. Keep up the fantastic work of promoting the hobby!
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » August 7th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Yessir ... probably the most contrived photo of my life ... on a number of levels. The limo was actually driving by and William quickly took the picture with me acting all nonchalant. Thought you and the boys (and Sandra and Alex?) would get a kick out of it. 8 spokes for those playing at home, and the goatee is an homage to a longtime collector friend's dog.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby glovejunkie » August 7th, 2013, 6:38 pm

I agree, incredible job to everyone with the both, looked spectacular!! I'm jealous, wish I could have been there, maybe I'll make my first national next year:). I'll make sure my first stop is with William and Brett. You guys already making the plans? Going for sure next year? Can anyone tell me how long in advance plans should me made for the national? Lots of people, do things book up super early in Cleveland?

Anyway, great pick ups Rob!! Love the leather!! Can't wait to see what else you and everyone else was able to find and bring into the hobby:)) Can you attach a photo of the tags on the gloves, always love seeing early unusual tags/new stuff!!

Glad to hear it was a blast and success for everyone at national this year, that's the only thing that keeps this great hobby going, the smiles and memories this stuff brings each of us one way or another:))).
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » August 7th, 2013, 10:53 pm

You kinda look like Tiny Elvis. :D

Can't wait to see the goods!

JD
Attachments
Tiny Elvis 1.jpg
ebbets55

Postby Rickybulldog » August 8th, 2013, 12:10 am

Ha ha! Score one for the tiny E! :D
Rickybulldog

Postby deebro041 » August 8th, 2013, 1:26 am

Just don't feed him after midnight or get him wet. :mrgreen:
deebro041

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Yep, Elvis dog. I remember the one time Jim took him to get get his hair trimmed with the explicit instructions to leave the goatee alone. Unfortunately they ignored his instructions and dang poor dog was less attractive to the girl dogs for weeks.

For those of you who like checking out the behinds.

016.JPG
018.JPG
026.JPG

Here's the rest of the booty, give or take. It must not be too many because I know of at least one guy who came away with more items (Ron Chaix). I really tried hard not to get that much stuff, but some of the ones that I decided later on in the show -- like the Orange Tony York -- just kept calling out to me. Temptress!

Bounty2.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Speaking of Ron's items, here are the great looking items he picked up at the National. Ron was on a mission!
Attachments
Rnnthovr.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby glovejunkie » August 8th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Holy god!!! Lmao, that's some great photos, and thanks glovecrazy for the behind's!!

Great stuff, again, can't wait to make one of these nationals some day myself, not sure ill be on that much of a mission though!!
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion