2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » March 13th, 2013, 12:39 pm

The 2013 edition of the National (http://www.nsccshow.com/) will be in Chicago this summer from July 31st until August 4th. William and I will be setting up again, sharing a booth with Corey Leiby of antiqueathlete.com. We hope some of you will stop by the booth and say hi - it's always fun meeting glove collectors new and old. If you have never been to a National, its' a worthwhile experience if you can make it. So, who's going?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: 2013 National Sports Collectors Convention

Postby vintagebrett » March 19th, 2013, 3:24 pm

We will be in booth 1061/1063 - there are some other vintage sellers right nearby so if you want to go where the "good" stuff is going to be, head down our aisle first! :D
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » May 21st, 2013, 8:22 pm

My reservations are confirmed. I look forward to meeting you guys in person and hanging out at your booth! Is there a ball game planned this year? Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 21st, 2013, 8:27 pm

Sweet! Now I can stock up on Elmer Riddles and have a buyer for them. 8)

William and I are going to the Cubs game on Tuesday evening. The schedule of the National makes it near impossible to get to any others. That's why I think Baltimore is the best location for the show - you walk outside the convention center and the stadium is right there. Neither of the Chicago stadiums are convenient to the Rosement convention center.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » May 21st, 2013, 8:36 pm

The Riddles are keepers, but I'll have other less collectible gloves like big names, crescents, and maybe even a webless. I'm in on the Cub game if you haven't already bought tickets yet and wouldn't mind a little company. I actually arrive on Monday.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » June 10th, 2013, 1:52 pm

As we are getting closer to the show, I wanted to see who here that reads the board will be attending. Apparently there are a bunch of new restaurants near the convention center giving us a place to meet if anyone would like to do so. Besides William and myself, I know Rob and John Graham will be there - anyone else planning or thinking about it? I'd be happy to secure a table at an eatery for us glove people to gather and swap stories. My guess is Thursday night would probably be the best but whatever works best. If you're thinking you may be at the show, drop me an email so I can see if there would be enough interest for a get together. Thanks.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 3rd, 2013, 2:19 pm

Four weeks to go until the show opens! Hope to see a good number of glove guys there. If you're going, drop me a note - I can add you to my list of "glove teasing." - I know glovecrazy Rob is enjoying it! 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Less than two weeks until the show! I'm pretty much packed and ready to go - just need to pick up the van to haul all the goodies next Saturday. It's hard for me to post on the forum during the show but if you follow me on twitter @playokantiques, I tweet out pictures of the booth and cool things I come across. My inventory list says around 240 gloves are making the trip to Chicago, hopefully a lot less are coming back!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby deebro041 » July 20th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Have a great time Brett! Hopefully sales are strong! I'm following. Are you going to catch any ball game(s)?
Dan
deebro041

Postby Number9 » July 21st, 2013, 5:45 pm

Brett and I will be at the Cubs game on Tuesday night with some guy who's crazy about gloves. If the signal is strong enough inside Rosemont I'll be tweeting from @HuntingtonBBC all week during the show.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby GloveCrazy » July 23rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Four weeks to go until the show opens! Hope to see a good number of glove guys there. If you're going, drop me a note - I can add you to my list of "glove teasing." - I know glovecrazy Rob is enjoying it! 8)

Only one week to go and I'm real excited (in spite of pre show teasing about stuff I can't buy yet)! ;-)

This is only my second National outside of California, the last one being in Cleveland back around 2000. I've wanted to go every year, but always seemed to have something get in the way. The best part of that Cleveland show for me was being able to meet several glovers in person for the first time, and I'm really hoping that happens again. I'll be there most of the week bouncing back and forth between Brett/William's booth and John Kanuit's booth so please look me up before you leave. I'm in for getting together as a group some night as well. My cell phone is 714-402-7017. Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » July 27th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Van is packed and ready for trip from CT to IL starting tomorrow morning. Ill be making a detour to Cooperstown to pick up William. Last I heard he was sitting at a bar with Wade Boggs, arguing who was Britain's greatest prime minister (Pitt the Elder).

Looking forward to the show and meeting new glove friends and saying hi to old ones. Safe travels to everyone going and ill be sure to update as I can.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby scottnoble » August 5th, 2013, 10:38 am

Had a great time at the National for the short time I was there! Bret and William's booth was my favorite,liked John's too. I can cross meeting Rob off my bucket list,it sincerely was a great pleasure.Hope you guys all had a great show, all the best,Scott
scottnoble
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 5th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Thanks Scott it was really great meeting you as well, after all these years!

My primary purpose of the trip was to meet as many glove collectors in person as I could and I am truly pleased how it all turned out. I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you all and I hope to be able to do it again next year in Cleveland. I’ll be initiating trade talks with several of you as soon as I have recovered from the whole experience, so start letting your defenses down. The show was great, too, and it is still a blur to me how I ended up with so much stuff, but chatting with you all and watching Brett and William in action was something I’ll truly remember fondly for a long time. That’s the good stuff!

I’ll post a couple more stories later on in the week but figured I’d get you started with a couple of pictures. Wish we could have gotten everyone in to the shot, but at least we were able to get this group of collecting studs together into one shot, which wasn't easy with all the glove collectors coming and going and with how busy Brett and William's booth was.

Da Boys.jpg

I ended up with a couple cool items which I'll share later this week but this is the one that was a little beyond reach (until I hit the lottery).

Show2.jpg

A big thanks to Brett and William for allowing me to stalk their booth for most of the show and making me feel right at home (though maybe not so inviting to this photo as they were setting up). Just kidding guys. The booth looked phenomenal all week, which was really quite a challenge as things flew off their shelves.

Show3.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 6th, 2013, 8:11 am

Wow! What a whirlwind, blur of a week it's been. The show was fantastic and I have a fun time. It was nice to get home yesterday, see my family and sleep in my own bed. Now that I"m not too sleep deprived, here's a brief account of the show.

Instead of doing the drive over one day, we broke it down into two days this time around and that was a great decision. On Monday, we stopped in Michigan to spend some time with Bill Sonnett III who was gracious enough to have us over to his house and tell us stories of his time in the Sonnett factory. It was a exceptional educational experience I as learned even more about the company that I collect. He showed us some great photos and some neat items as well. Well worth a small detour. On our way down to Chicago from MI, we stopped by a great burger place in New Buffalo, MI (Redamaks) which would be the beginning of our not-healthy at all eating week. After arriving in Chicago, we met Mr. Glovecrazy Rob in person for the first time and became fast friends.

Tuesday morning we were up bright and early to unload our fully packed van at the convention center. Thankfully we were able to drive right to our booth and unload - this saved us a huge hassle. This year we had two booth spaces to fill and so it took us a lot longer to get fully set up. Actually, it wasn't until later Wednesday afternoon that we were finally satisfied with how it looked. Time flies super fast as you are working and catching up with all of the people that want to talk to you or see what you've brought to sell. At about 3:30 we were able to cover the booth and get back to the hotel, ready to head to Wrigley for the cubs game. William picked some great seats - right behind home plate! The game was a pitches duel for the most part (yay!) and the Cubs lost in typical fashion with the shortstop dropping an easy liner in the 9th inning.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were all quite busy in the booth. Usually there are lulls where there is no one around and you get a chance to walk the floor. Not much of a chance for that this show. There was a steady stream of customers buying all sorts of items so that kept us engaged replacing items, moving stuff, etc. Rob was a big help the entire week and did a great job talking up our items to interested buyers - I think he even talked himself into buying a few!

I got few opportunities to walk the floor but I don't think I missed too much. There were gloves on the floor but I was unable to find any that fit my collection. I know that Rob picked up a few interesting pieces including one early glove that you guys will enjoy seeing. Glove sales were strong - I haven't done my final tallies yet but I brought 240 gloves and sold over half of them. There are still some good ones left so keep an eye on my website as I'll post them sometime in the coming week or two.

Best part of the week of course is seeing/meeting fellow glove collectors. In my opinion, glove guys are a notch above the other genres - courteous, friendly and always a sense of humor. Thanks to all of the people who stopped in during the week and spent time talking old leather with us - truly fun! Special thanks to Rob for all your help this week in the booth. The show is in Cleveland next year so I hope more people are able to make it! I'll post some pictures and add additional thoughts later.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion