Best of July 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of July 2013

Postby mikesglove » July 9th, 2013, 1:29 pm

A few gloves from the same seller. That TOC inflatable chest protector isn't going to pay for itself!
A Stall & Dean "Speed" model sold for $114 on ebay. I think I can make out the Tris Speaker endorsement at the heel. Not! Nice grommet web and the front displays nicely. The back shows a fair amount of wear. The "Speed" models are distinctive and popular with collectors.
zs.jpg
zsa.jpg

Super clean 1940's Goldsmith "Pete Reiser" model JCR sold for $67.
zsd.jpg
zsdd.jpg

Another "Pete Reiser" model, this one a Dubow brand, sold for $60.
zsw.jpg
zsf.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of July 2013

Postby ebbets55 » July 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Ha, I needed a duplicate inflatable chest protector like I needed a hole in the head. 46 watchers on the Speed. Thought it would do a hair better at the end. It's all good. Overall, only lost about $475. Of the 14, only bummed about the Dubow Reiser. I would probably pay $200 for that glove again. It was that nice. It's hard to get people to understood that with my photography skills. Anyone could have bought that Reach buckskin catchers mitt in the Sale Gallery for $65 so am happy to get $110 instead! One out of 14 in the black isn't bad I guess.

It's still a buyer's market fellas.

JD
ebbets55

Postby Deacon » July 10th, 2013, 2:05 pm

I was very surprised as well JD. I thought the majority of the gloves you had listed should have sold for double the price. My question, is it a buyers market or has the market just leveled off? There seems to be an abundance of gloves available, and has been for awhile and only certain ones command a "good" price.
Over the past couple of years, I've changed my collecting focus and still have a number of gloves from my "old" focus but I'm reluctant to sell, especially on ebay.
Where are things headed? Any thoughts?
Perhaps this should be under a different topic for discussion, but just had to comment.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jpop43 » July 10th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I think its a great topic of discussion and one I've been kicking around for well over a year now myself....I'd love to hear the thoughts of many here on the forum.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » July 11th, 2013, 12:06 am

I bet you would. :wink: Me too.

JD
ebbets55

Postby theglovester » July 11th, 2013, 8:28 am

I kinda have to think it is a buyers market also...Why...Not exactly sure, I can see some gloves as tough sales, but $115 for a S&D speed, or JD's JCR Reiser?? don't figure, should have been $200 gloves easy..

Anyway, I got interested in this hobby because Baseball cards went stupid in 1989-1990 and I dumped all my 1980's cards for 1950's cards and I had to collect something, and gloves were just starting out. I have "The Glove Collector" newsletter #12 with my mailing address on it so I have seen a bunch. One thing about this hobby is that you can find a dandy every year if you look enough for cheap. I doubt we will ever find a 50's mantle baseball card for $10 anymore but a Rawlings MM mantle can be found for $10...I haven't found one yet, but got this sweet KB ford/critz for $49 shipping and all. I find pleasure in my gloves and don't see them as an investment. (although we all want value, and its nice to see a glove I have worth a bunch, a lot of the pleasure comes from putting on a glove in my collection that sold out the yazoo on ebay ) To me the hunt is part of the fun,(20 years patiently waiting for a G105 mays!) Kinda like dating women....and looking for a DD dean or PM pepper.....

Yeah I fix and clean gloves, usually for therapy, cheaper than a psychiatrist and I get paid, usually in trade for a glove..and I have made friends all over the country thanks to our head Potentate Joe Phillips. I have a bunch of vices in my life, but you know what.. collecting baseball gloves has been the cheapest one, I think we all will agree to that..

Papaw always told me one extreme follows the other, in just about everything, For me I'm sticking with splitfingers and earlier, and confederate currency, the latter may be good again the way things are going??? and funny how baseball gloves are always cherished. (see other post)

Well here is pic of the KB.. Really nice and soft, perfect piping and super deep stampings, deepest stampings in any glove I own, only flaw is a tiny hole in lining up in ring finger, No problem..still have to lace it up but wanted to post pictures. the "Patent date Nov.13 192?" (7 or 3) is clear as a bell on thumb near verticle loop, and "Genuine Horsehide" is still visible in lining. This brings up another topic, this is my only "V buckle back" and I think it is the best, anyone want to chime in on other notable v-backs.. I know a pepper is a v..

Again congrats Jon, You are drinking on Confederate glove $$ as JD purchased a mays G101 from me and I figured in your cold Beer in the price, Cheers.

See there guys, a baseball glove linked an east Tenn. farmer with JD in Cal. with a Yankee.. Pretty Priceless stuff right there.ImageImageImage
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 11th, 2013, 12:55 pm

ebbets55 wrote: Of the 14, only bummed about the Dubow Reiser. I would probably pay $200 for that glove again. It was that nice.

That "Reiser" is about as good as you get. Unless you've owned one or two, it is a brand that can slip through the cracks. I've owned a few and they have been superior in every way.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » July 11th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Boys and Girls. Approximately 600 gloves were unloaded in the market from Texas from last November to February. Hence, like the price of oil dropping when the Saudi's open up their pumps. Didn't seem to affect the more modern glove market though.
softball66

Postby murphusa » July 11th, 2013, 10:38 pm

add in two other collections which brought the total to about 1700 gloves through November to March
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Deacon » July 12th, 2013, 11:27 am

softball66 wrote:Boys and Girls. Approximately 600 gloves were unloaded in the market from Texas from last November to February. Hence, like the price of oil dropping when the Saudi's open up their pumps. Didn't seem to affect the more modern glove market though.

The thing is, the first barrel of oil looks, smells & feels like the last barrel...very similar to modern gloves.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » July 12th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Yep in all those hordes of gloves.. Not ONE!! Nothing even Close!! to DD Dean or PM Pepper Martin. DO THEY EXIST???? Ah, Patience is virtuitious..tick,tick,tick....
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 13th, 2013, 3:12 am

Nice Reach 1905-15 fielders mitt sold for $478. Pretty cool looking and in decent condition. I like the full web with adjustment holes and lacing. Cloth patch is in good shape. A makeshift button looks to have replaced the original.
zlfccc.jpg
zlfvv.jpg

A 1940's Spalding Marvel "Joe DiMaggio" model 133 sold for $376. High quality and near mint condition.
$(KGrHqV,!lcFHC18VP)!BR1rfBircg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7)SLBR1rfD3-lw~~60_57.JPG

Rob's favorite, another MacG "Pete Reiser" with the "Snare" webbing to add to his collection. $71 on ebay. I have had this model and it is also my favorite variation of all the different Reiser's out there.
zzz$T2eC16RHJG8FGsPe+0FGBR1y72W38Q~~60_57.jpg

I liked the weird webbing holes on this one but got to expensive for me at $114 for a small juvenile model and the poor condition of the back side.
zoldcrescentcatchgl.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » July 15th, 2013, 1:50 pm

A circa 1950 Wilson model 2050 glove sold for $126 on ebay. A top glove in its day. This one is in great condition.
zsc.jpg
zcc.jpg

A 1950's Spalding model "Don Larsen" model 1051 sold for $192 on ebay. Another top glove, this time in the Splading line. Not an often seen model.
zaw.jpg
zas.jpg

A rare Horace Partridge/KenWel glove sold for $299 on ebay. Glove is in real nice condition and more than likely the "Vance" model but no clear markings in the pocket.
zzw.jpg
zqw.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » July 17th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Nice glove from Bob McCann, a Spalding white leather 1" sewn web for $440 on ebay. Can't quite make out the model number but looks like a good quality glove.
aw1.jpg
aww1.jpg

A J.C. Higgins full web model sold for $329 on ebay. Glove has been altered and repaired over the years of service but looks like a real vintage player model. Has a nice cloth patch
asa.jpg
as.jpg

An unusual "Mickey Mantle" model sold for a $49 BIN. It was listed as a RK&B brand. This was an abbreviation for Rose, Kimball & Baxter Hardware out of Elmira NY. They began business around 1867. They were a wholesale hardware and sporting goods distributor. This has got to be one of the more elusive Mantle gloves and looked to be near mint. Block letter endorsement
aqa.jpg

Stylish Higgins "Mel Ott" glove sold for $74 on ebay. nice condition and contrasting piping and web attachments.
aez.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » July 19th, 2013, 12:34 pm

A 1930's Reach "Rick Ferrell" catchers mitt sold for $231 on ebay. This is a top of the line "The Brute" model with the rare ventilated back.
zz3.jpg
zz2.jpg

A NOS 1960's Rawlings "Warren Spahn" model XPG3 sold for $80 as a BIN. Great looking glove! I like the X web.
z3e.jpg
z3er.jpg
mikesglove

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month