He's Just A Boy

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

He's Just A Boy

Postby ScottWNJ » May 28th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Just found this and thought it was worth posting. This should be posted at all Little League parks.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: He's Just A Boy

Postby murphusa » May 29th, 2012, 7:00 am

Sorry Scott, but I disagree with the statement. But then Im :twisted: and :evil:
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » May 29th, 2012, 10:18 am

I'm with Murph, simply another example of the excessive coddling of youth today. There will be ramifications, and they won't be pretty.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » May 29th, 2012, 12:58 pm

I blame all the problems in the United States on Soccer. When everyone started playing it in the 80's in made our youth pussy's.

And this lets be nice stuff moved its way into our Military, where we no longer go out to win we play a game of public perception.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Mr. Mitt » May 29th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Interesting that you cite the military as an example, Jim. By no means am I an expert on anything related to the military, but it has always struck me as odd how things have changed from one generation to the next. During WWII, soldiers were nameless "Joe's", fighting for a singular cause and got the job done. More recently, though, the marketing machine pushed "An Army of One" in its advertising. To me, this goes along with the bs mantra that very child is "special". Times are very different.
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » May 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm

In his last special, George Carlin summed it up pretty well. My views are much harsher, but not quite as comically timed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74T6cKb ... ata_player
Mr. Mitt

Postby okdoak » May 31st, 2012, 2:57 pm

murphusa wrote:I blame all the problems in the United States on Soccer. When everyone started playing it in the 80's in made our youth pussy's.

I can trace it back a lot further than that. It all went south when that first sissy put on a glove instead of catching the ball barehanded like a man. Unless I'm not picking up on the sarcasm, these comments just seem mean spirited and half baked. I mean, is there a bigger cliche than old farts moaning about how much tougher they had it than today's kids? I agree with the sentiment of the sign. Let kids be kids and teach them to enjoy playing the game. They will be adults soon enough and will have a long time to deal with all the crap that comes with that responsibility.
okdoak

Postby murphusa » May 31st, 2012, 9:57 pm

let kids be kids, but that doesn't happen anymore. Sitting at home playing video games or starring at your phone all day will not make a man.

Watch, The Sandlot and see what is was to be a kid. How many names or kidding do each one of the guys gives or takes.

That's growing up, not by giving everyone a trophy, someone wins and someone doesn't.

Taking practice exams to get into nursery school is no way to go through life
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby jpop43 » June 1st, 2012, 8:10 am

Policy makers play the game of public perception...not the military. This post could have been way more harsh, but its early and I like you guys far too much to go that route...some things are just closer to home than others.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » June 1st, 2012, 1:41 pm

jpop43 wrote:Policy makers play the game of public perception...not the military. This post could have been way more harsh, but its early and I like you guys far too much to go that route...some things are just closer to home than others.

And I was just spouting off. I could never give it the same prospective as you could as I never served in the military.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » June 12th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the everyone is a winner and gets a trophy (after the first year or so), but some of the parents -- and coaches -- at little league games are way over the top. Way over the top, and need a good talking to, so to speak. Just last night I saw a local news report of a parent that was hitting his son with a belt every time he missed the ball while they were playing catch (and the kid didn't look very good). Apparently, the father is a local elected official and little league coach, and the video is on you tube.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » June 13th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Here's the idiot I was referring to. My favorite line is from the confronting neighbor taking the video ... "why don't you come over here and teach me?!" Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQVBJgV ... re=related
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby deebro041 » June 13th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Wow that is unbelievable! The boy is probably already feeling bad enough that his parents aren't together, then you get loser step dad #1 pulling this stunt. I'm glad the neighbor stepped in and got involved!
deebro041

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool