Iver Johnson Sporting Goods

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Iver Johnson Sporting Goods

Postby mikesglove » October 22nd, 2011, 1:37 am

Iver Johnson Immigrated from Norway and established a business in Massachusetts as a gunsmith during the Civil War in 1863. He had different associations and partners but by 1891 he had moved to Fitchburg, MA and established business as Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works. The manufacture of bicycles was a new product and proved to be highly successful. In 1899. Johnson bought the John P. Lovell Arms Co. after the death of its owner John Lovell. Lovell Arms had a huge retail business, taking up six floors in downtown Boston. Lovell Arms was more diversified than Iver Johnson in terms of sporting goods, so the sale was a big expansion in the Iver Johnson product line. During the 1890's, Lovell began the sale of baseball and other sporting goods. It is interesting to note that a 1899 John P. Lovell Spring and Summer Sports catalog recently sold at auction. It would be great if a baseball glove ever turns up under that name.

An Iver Johnson Ad showing their products, guns and bicycles
An Iver Johnson bicycle.

An 1890's ad from John P Lovell Co. Interesting to note more diversified products, including baseball and athletic goods.

This was formerly the John P.Lovell Arms retail building in Boston but now all six floors are Iver Johnson Sporting Goods.

A 1907 Iver Johnson sports catalog. Unfortunately, the catalog does not have pictures of gloves.

A very nice Iver Johnson brand glove with a super rare Iver Johnson cloth patch on the back
Iver Johnson Co. was in business from 1871 till 1993 with the vast majority of their business in firearms. baseball gloves turn up every so often. There are a few at http://www.baseballglovecollector.com. The glove above is from Dugout Treasures.
Last edited by mikesglove on October 24th, 2011, 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Iver Johnson Sporting Goods

Postby peterb69 » October 22nd, 2011, 8:59 am

Thanks, great info
peterb69
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 23rd, 2011, 2:57 pm

Yes, they don't pop up too often. I've been trying to add one to my New England collection but they are few and far between. There was another LH that sold on eBay a year or two ago but it was trashed.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby jpop43 » October 23rd, 2011, 6:42 pm

The glove is ours and we were really pleased to find it, but this uniform top is our best piece of Iver Johnson equip surpassing even the glove....
http://www.dugouttreasures.com/productD ... prodID=290
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » October 24th, 2011, 4:38 am

Speaking of uniform tops, there is a great site,http://www.antiquesportscollector.com that has some rare and interesting variations of cloth patches from antique uniforms. he would probably be pleased if you sent him a pic of your uniform. It is really pristine! Here is an early ad for Iver Johnson Uniforms.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » October 24th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I think my dad once owned an Iver Johnson shotgun. So that quaint "New England" sounding name always stuck with me. Love the patch!
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion