Best of September 2011

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of September 2011

Postby Kenny Wel » September 16th, 2011, 9:58 am

I am not presenting this to be authoritative; I am just sharing my observations...

I was looking through the Ken-Wel catalogs available to me, looking to see when Ken-Wel used the logo displayed in the advertisement offered by Mikesglove. I could not actually find that logo in a catalog, so I could not date it. I have always assumed that it was a early logo which was replaced by the Ken-Wel script logo that is the most popular. Again, no facts to support this, just my theory.
The font in which Ken-Wel is printed changes from year to year in the catalogs with out much consistancy.

The first glove with interlaced fingers was the model 550 "Babe" Pinelli. The 1924 catalog shows it with "V" shaped or "peak shaped" gussets as shown in the ad above. The Sammy Bohne model in the same issue also has the "V" gussets, but not the interlaced fingers. Looking at the cloth labels on the two, the Bohne model has what I consider as an early logo, while the Pinelli has the more common round Gloversville logo.

Is it possible that the artist that drew the ad used a Pinelli model as a reference? Maybe the prototype Vance model had the "V' seams, but was too labor intensive to keep producing? The catalog listing for both versions use the same wording as offering less friction between the fingers and "never-rip" strength.

The Dazzy Vance glove pictured above is consistent with the regular 560 moldel shown in the catalog 1927 through 1934. In the 1938 catalog, the 560 model has a tunnel web between the tip of the thumb and index finger instead of lacing alone. The glove is consistant with the picture in the 1927 and 1928 catalogs, which is right around the time of the move to Utica. Was the pictured just copied from one issue to the next by the printer? (The pictures do not change from year to year) Were they using up the surplus labels? The back of the model regular 560 is not shown again after 1928.

Following Ken-Wel model numbers through the years is confusing because they had a tendancy to recycle model numbers on new gloves with new endorsements.

These are just observations that I was able to make. Maybe someone else has more definitive answers.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » September 16th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Couple more pics from this morning. (Absolutely beautiful day here in NYC. Lots of sunshine and a hint of fall in the air.) Cleaner...Redder :D
Attachments
P1160168.JPG
P1160168.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
P1160159_00.jpg
P1160159_00.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Kenny Wel » September 16th, 2011, 3:41 pm

It looks nice. I like how you left the top lace wrapped back to itself.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » September 16th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Thanks. Sometimes I receive gloves that have something with the lace that just looks too authentic to touch (other than condition). This happens every now and then. My Reach Ruth RFO came with the exact lacing pattern it still has. Then there's a goldsmith Babe Young base mitt that had the most amazing wrist lace. That stayed. This one as well. Now that I shifted the wrist strap to fit my xl hand it's easy to see why it's been set up the way it has. The pocket really works nicely with the thumb all snugged up the way it is. Feels like a trip back it time. :D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month