Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Postby mikesglove » July 4th, 2011, 1:01 am

From Dave:
I believe the glove is an all original Red Rolfe, RR and I have looked at it very closely and it seems to match Mark Walters glove to the T with the exception of the glove label. This one says Schultz Athletic Goods on the cloth label. Apparently Art Katsapis has a slightly different RR. on his website and has a slightly different web material and has an RR. rather than just RR without the dot. My Rolled lace web had tape on parts of the web so it has some tape residue remaining. I tried cleaning some of it up but it might be best to leave it alone as the old rolled leather web is rather fragile still. It does not look as good of condition as Mark's web but I do think this one is the real deal too so I am just happy to even get this glove for the collection.

I did add a period lace on the inside of the rolled lace at the top of the glove only to allow the top of the net of the web to be supported as the glove at the top of the web section had a broken leather lace running into the 5th grommet of both thumb and index finger. I tried to stay true to the period and I think this glove is from 1940 time frame.
RR front.JPG
RR Rolled lace back.JPG
RR palm minez11.jpg

I bought a news wire photo off of ebay the other day and snapped a few pics of the RR glove next to Red Rolfe using a Rawlings rolled laced web. I thought it would be cool to shoot the picture. I have looked closely at Rolfe using this glove in the picture and apparently his glove does not have a streamline seam going up each of the back of the fingers. Three gloves I have seen (this being one, and the other two belong to Mark Walters and Art Katsapolis) All three of ours has the the RR Rawlings rolled laced web and all three of ours have a seam or welting in each of the back of the fingers. In this newswire photo I do not see any welting in the back of his fingers. I can actually see the Rawlings name in the heel of the glove in this newswire photo, but you have to look real close when the pic is blown up. LOL I have one other 1941 cat. photo that is very close to the gloves Mark and I have in our collections. Pic to follow.
Dave
RRweb_and_RR_photoa.JPG

Check out the RR cat. pic. and please share with our vintage glove forum as they may enjoy checking out the glove and photos and 1941 cat. pic too.
RR Rawlings 1941 cat. page1a.jpg

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Dave
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 4th, 2011, 9:38 am

Mark,

Great job putting the pics on the thread. Have a great 4th.

Catch you later.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » July 4th, 2011, 9:40 am

Just re-read my post when it went on the thread and I meant Mike rather than Mark.

Mike,
Thanks for your help with the pictures.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ScottWNJ » July 15th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Dave, here is a photo of the back of the Les Mallon Goldsmith glove. Hopefully I can nurse it back to a more presentable condition.
(Suggestions welcome) No padding at all in the palm. Still waiting to see if another Les Mallon shows up.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 17th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Hi Scott,

Those old buckleback gloves are cool!!! Maybe a little saddle soap and a small brush will bring a little life back in the old glove. Nice find.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby mdecicco » March 6th, 2014, 8:30 pm

I have a Roy Joiner glove. It is in good used condition. I'd be willing to sell it if someone wants it in their collection.
Maryann
mdecicco
Rookie Glove Poster

Re:

Postby mikesglove » June 4th, 2017, 2:09 pm

nygiants wrote:And my most prized gloves are the Charles (Jeff) Tesreau gloves (Goldsmith RL & Cashman's Athletic Goods bucklebacks).
All NY Giants.
Doug

This is a nice one!

Another white one, a "Vance" D&M glove that always grabs me among a sea of Ken Wel models. It created a lot of excitment on ebay.
ImageImage
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » June 4th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Wow, those are a couple of rare beauties.
I'd love to see this thread keep going, especially since we've seen thousands more gloves on ebay and elsewhere during the time that's passed since this was first posted.
I can only think of 3 tough signatures I have; a Tommy Thompson kid's size Globe, a higher quality Globe Bump Hadley, and a True Value Hal Gregg (made by Dubow). I picked up a bit of trivia lately, Hal Gregg was Brooklyn's starting pitcher for Jackie Robinson's debut in 1947, and got the win over the Boston Braves' John Sain 5-3.
Here's my Bump Hadley. Nice quality for a Globe-

okdoak

Re:

Postby mikesglove » June 5th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Centerfield wrote:Just remembered a Combs that passed through my sticky little hands once. If it wasn't the lone example, there can't be too many others that have been found. Wish I had that one back!

Combs with Rainey Trap web

Wish I had another shot at this one! A Spalding Dizzy Dean "Pitchers Model" with single Rainey web.
Last edited by mikesglove on June 20th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » June 20th, 2017, 1:36 am

That Dizzy Dean Rainey web is sweet. I don't know if that's what Tex Carleton is wearing in this picture, but I'd love to have that glove, too.
Tex was also part of the Gashouse Gang and I think his endorsed gloves are pretty scarce. He endorsed a Goldsmith model in the 1930's.

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » June 21st, 2017, 10:50 pm

That sure is a nice photo. Don't know how you dig them up. Not sure if you've been to thehttps://www.baseball-fever.com/website. They have an outstanding archive of photos there.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » June 22nd, 2017, 12:05 am

I really like baseball-fever, too. I've found some on Net54 looking through the threads that the vintage photo collectors post. Also ebay, though many of those have the squiggly lines through them to prevent copying.
It's still much the same as when I first started looking for them; the really good ones are elusive. I don't know how many I've looked at that if the glove had just been turned at a bit more of an angle or the camera was a little closer...Eh, I still enjoy looking for them.
okdoak

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion