Bill Freehand model Wilson A 2412

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Bill Freehand model Wilson A 2412

Postby jackwhale » July 1st, 2007, 10:50 pm

Today at the Alameda (SF Bay) Flea Market:
As I was walking out I glanced in a box and found a Wilson A 2412 Catcher's Mitt--Bill Freehand model ($10). The lacing on the webbing is broken but the glove cleaned up well and looks barely used. I don't know when it was made but it seems to be a high quality mitt.

I went to college at Univ Michigan when B Freehand played one year for Michigan, and then went on to star for the Tigers.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 5th, 2007, 11:21 pm

The collecting books show the Wilson A2412 "Freehan" model being sold from 1966 to 1970, during the heart of his days with the Tigers.

This glove was a better than mid-priced offering, slotted just below the top-line A2400 mitt, but above the average priced models, so I imagine it is a sturdy, quality piece of leather.

The A2400 sold for about $50, the average price for Wilson mitts was around $25 and their cheapest mitts sold for just 8 bucks. The A2412 was priced at $35.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Freehan mitt

Postby jackwhale » July 6th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Thanks for the info. The Tigers were on top in 1968 when this glove was made--beating Gibson and the Cardinals in the Series.

My son was catcher and he has a couple of the 2403 mitts. This 2412 is somewhat smaller but the quality does seem good. I took it to Fran (sandal lady) in Cotati--will look good on my office wall.

Thanks again Brett
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures