Yay! It's Outdoor Flea Market Season

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Yay! It's Outdoor Flea Market Season

Postby mikesglove » May 29th, 2011, 4:11 pm

The Memorial Day weekend "Antique Fair" was today in the Plaza. There were a lot of import gloves at high prices. I arrived mid-morning so the good stuff may have all been gone by 6:30AM. There was a great looking pair of black leather gauntlet driving gloves with a very clever wrist strap snap closure mechanism. I looked in vain for a manufacturers stamp or tag inside. A D&M would have been nice but to no avail. So I left with nada. It was a beautiful day in northern CA. though. Recently started to re-refurbish my truck. I've had it for 48 years, since I was 16. Am always on the lookout for parts and tools. Found nothing at this Fair but had good luck at other venues this spring.
092ab.jpg
Me at 19 after my first restoration. Luggage in the back, on my way to college
modela1966a.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » May 29th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Great restoration job, the truck looks beautiful!
deebro041

Postby BretMan » May 30th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Managed to hit two antique shows this weekend. Saw about 25 gloves, almost all cheap, junky, modern, imported gloves. Probably saw about four Sears Ted Williams gloves in good shape. A Regent, a Franklin and a few Wilsons and Rawlings were in the mix. With some TLC, some of them would have been good for a kid that needed a glove. About the most "vintage" were some smaller 1950's style gloves.

Saw one fairly nice first base mitt with a rare endorsement: Les Scarsella (buckle back).

I did find a clean, moderately used Rawings TG48 Eddie Mathews. This was a mid-priced Trap-Eze glove sold in 1960-62. Made in the USA. Needs laces. Glove was $3.00!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby vintagebrett » June 19th, 2011, 10:37 am

Found this cool advertising fan this morning featuring a crescent mitt - copyright date is 1908 and advertising on back is for a store in boston.
Attachments
adfan.jpg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby cjw » June 24th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Brett....that fan is quite familiar. I found a group of 5 of them in Toronto a few years back. All have signs of exact, contrived aging and wear. Heard from a collecting friend that they were fantasy pieces. If I remember correctly the town doesn't exist either.
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 24th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Thanks, what was on the back of those? Mine is for store in Boston, MA.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby cjw » June 25th, 2011, 1:24 am

Sorry, I meant to type "store" not town. Dont't have them any longer but I want to say that mine had a cafe or restaurant ad on the backs.
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » June 29th, 2011, 1:58 pm

finally found a really nice black Geo. Reach model BOC "Bruce Campbell" model. I was lucky and it was a reasonable price. I did a little cleaning but it was mostly just dry and dusty so I used some hand lotion to bring out the black leather again. I don't think it has ever been relaced.
DSCN2016.JPG
DSCN2022.JPG
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » June 29th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Looks great, Mike! I love the black gloves. Wondering if we ever had a thread on Favorite Black Gloves?
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » June 30th, 2011, 11:48 pm

I bet we would agree on the black Wilson "Andy Pafko" model. I would really love to own one of the out-seam models.
mikesglove

Postby BretMan » July 5th, 2011, 11:17 pm

A rare weekend without any baseball or fastpitch tournaments to umpire gave me a chance to hit a big flea market and a huge antique mall around the Cincinnati area (went down for the weekend to see the Reds/Indians interleague series).

The flea market actually had a lot of gloves- just not the sort of things we look for or anything especially interesting or collectible. My rough count was that I saw at least 50 gloves, all modern junk for the most part. A few mid-quality Wilsons and Rawlings with HOF endorsments, like a Reggie Jackson GJF36 (the predecessor to the venerable RBG36) and a Catfish Hunter. Quite a few gloves that, with a little work, would have been great for a kid that needed a glove and also some big softball models.

The antique mall was so big that it took a couple of hours to see everything. There was a smattering of older gloves, nothing to write home about. Probably saw about 20 gloves total. Did see one Rawlings G500 Roy Smalley split-finger that I liked the looks of. It was in good to very good shape with a ragged Rawlings patch...and tagged at $65 (about 2-3 times more than I'd want to pay for that condition). So I passed...

Did buy one glove there that doesn't really fall into the pre-1970 vintage catagory. A mid-late 80's Rawlings XPG-RC (I've seen the XPG-RF model before and this appears to be identical). This was Rawlings exact copy of a Wilson A2000, right down to the hinged web and unique lacing pattern. Glove is in excellent condtion. I've always wanted one of these and couldn't pass it up for nine bucks!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby hawkeye5 » July 12th, 2011, 1:13 am

Hit an antique show over the 4th weekend and found a Reach model RN, (left handed) catchers mitt with decker style back, in awesome condition. I don't think it ever caught a baseball. The only wear it has, is from being stored for over a 100 years, with soft supple leather. It has two patent dates stamped on it Aug 6th 1889 (on the decker back) and Feb 24th - April 14th 1891 (frontside), with 85-90% of the gold stamping still intact.
Pat Armstrong
hawkeye5
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 12th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Great find. Post some pictures if you can.
mikesglove

Postby hawkeye5 » July 13th, 2011, 12:29 am

Sorry but I don't know how to post the pictures!
hawkeye5
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 13th, 2011, 1:35 pm

hawkeye5 wrote:Sorry but I don't know how to post the pictures!

Joe had sent me pictures of the mitt so here they are - hope you don't mind me posting them. See you at the National!
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 1.30.48 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 1.31.06 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 1.31.22 PM.png
vintagebrett
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures