D&M Chuck Klein

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

D&M Chuck Klein

Postby okdoak » February 20th, 2011, 12:12 am

This is pretty well travelled glove. I remember seeing it on ebay years ago and I think that it belonged to a couple of our forum members for a while. It's a D&M G92 Chuck Klein with a Bechtel's Sports Shop tag on the inside wrist strap. It was one of their top of the lines from 1931-37 and made of Wapiti (elk hide) with a horsehide liner. Stampings are faint, but it's a real softy. Don't know if that's a property of the hide or from the amount of play that it's seen. Anyway, it's one of those "feels good on the hand" gloves.

1932 ad:

Catalog page from John Graham's great glove book:

Paul (Don't Call Me Daffy) Dean sporting the same model (I think).
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: D&M Chuck Klein

Postby softball66 » February 20th, 2011, 8:58 am

Greg, I have a G93 D&M glove very similar to the G92 in the back wrist arrangement etc. It is a later model with two tunnel loop webs though and I'm guessing maybe one of the last gloves produced at the D&M Plymouth plant, retaining the "G" prefix instead of the Goldsmith DG prefix. It is just marked "Collegiate" and "Horsehide" But it is a big adult and sturdy glove. I'll try to get an image of it. :?:
softball66

Postby okdoak » February 21st, 2011, 4:37 pm

Post some pictures when you get a chance, Joe.
okdoak

Postby okdoak » March 2nd, 2011, 3:24 am

Here are pictures of Joe's terrific looking D&M G98:

And a picture of Jake Flowers wearing the same style laced back at the 1931 WS. Paul Derringer is the player next to him. Note the band-aids on their faces; must have been a tough game...

okdoak

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures